Gardai hunting teen girl who attacked and robbed young autistic man
Gardai are seeking to extradite a teenage girl who fled Ireland after the sickening assault and robbery of a young autistic man at a Dart station.
The Herald today reveal that detectives are trying to find the 19-year-old over her involvement in the attack, which took place at Bray Dart station in April last year.
During the violent assault the victim, who is in his 20s, suffered a broken nose and two black eyes and had his phone stolen.
Exclusive CCTV footage obtained by the Herald shows three women and a man - Jason O'Sullivan - launching an unprovoked attack on the vulnerable young man. The teenager who gardai want to speak to had a key role in the incident.
Seen in these images wearing pink runners, the girl aggressively confronted the man and later could be seen holding on to him as her male accomplice attacked him.
O'Sullivan (30) last week admitted the serious assault and robbery when he appeared before Wicklow Circuit Court.
Gardai believe the young woman they want to question over the attack has fled Ireland and is currently in another European country.
A source told the Herald that gardai are liaising with Interpol in an attempt to track her down and return her to Ireland.
"Gardai are in the process of applying for a European Arrest Warrant for this woman," the source said.
"Her exact location is not known, but detectives want to question her about her role in what can only be described as a sickening attack on a vulnerable young man."
Investigating officers at Bray Garda Station believe the women played a prominent role in the robbery and assault of the young man.
Last week, it emerged that O'Sullivan faces anything up to life in prison for the horrific attack. He admitted assault only minutes before he was due to stand trial at Wicklow Circuit Court for robbing the young man.
The incident happened as the victim left Bray Dart station at 6pm on April 4 last year. It was captured on CCTV cameras, and the images show O'Sullivan repeatedly striking his victim in the face.
As the young man fell to the ground and begged not to be hit any more, O'Sullivan launched a full-force kick to his face.
Speaking in the days after the attack, the victim's father said his son normally left the station with everyone else, but on this occasion he stopped to help a man in a wheelchair.
O'Sullivan, of Connolly Square, Bray, is originally from Dublin's Ballybrack. He admitted seriously assaulting the young man but denied robbery.
The robbery trial was due to start last week, but minutes before a jury was empanelled his lawyer told the court it would not be required.
O'Sullivan was arraigned and admitted stealing a mobile phone by the use of force from a young man at Bray Dart station in April last year.
When the robbery charge was put to him, O'Sullivan, who was wearing jeans and a long-sleeve grey shirt, replied "guilty".
Defence barrister Seoirse O Dunlaing said it would become clear when the evidence was given that someone else took the phone.
However, Mr O Dunlaing said O'Sullivan now accepted his guilt as it was part of a joint enterprise.