Gardai believe toddler lay dead for hours after 'frenzied attack'

Maha Al-Adheem, who was found with superficial wounds at the apartment
Maha Al-Adheem, who was found with superficial wounds at the apartment

Gardaí are waiting to question an Iraqi doctor in connection with the fatal stabbing of her three-year-old son.

Toddler Omar Omran, who was discovered with several knife wounds to his body and legs, lay dead at a south Dublin apartment for more than two hours, gardaí believe.

He was discovered shortly after 6.30pm on Monday after emergency services broke down the door of the home in the Riverside complex, Poddle Park, Kimmage.

Detectives have established that the young child was killed about 4pm that afternoon in what has been described as a frenzied attack.

His mother, Maha Al-Adheem, who is in her 40s, was last night continuing to be treated at St James's Hospital after suffering stab wounds to the side of her torso.

Investigating detectives are anxious to interview Ms Al-Adheem to establish what occurred at the home on Monday afternoon.

The alarm was raised by the toddler's mother after she told emergency service personnel that young Omar went into cardiac arrest.

When members of Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) arrived at the property, they were forced to break down the door to gain entry.

Paramedics entered the apartment and discovered the toddler lying on his bed with several stab wounds to his body and legs.

DFB members attempted to resuscitate the young child for around 40 minutes but despite their best efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Senior sources last night said the wounds on the three-year-old indicated that he was subjected to a "frenzied attack".

Maha Al-Adheem was found lying on the floor of the adjacent living room with what have been described as "superficial wounds".

She was immediately transferred to St James's Hospital where she was last night continuing to be treated.

Gardaí suspect that young Omar lay dead in the Dublin flat for approximately two hours.

"Gardaí at the moment believe that the young victim was attacked at around 4pm on Monday afternoon," a source said last night.

"The investigation aspect has proved difficult because the mother and son did not have immediate family in the country," the source added.

A kitchen knife, which investigating gardaí believe was used in the attack, has been recovered and is being technically examined by forensic officers.

A post-mortem examination was carried out on Omar yesterday while a technical examination has been carried out at the scene.

It is understood that Ms Al-Adheem's estranged husband, Khalid Omran, was notified of the tragedy yesterday.

Gardaí never had any previous interaction with the woman.

The child's death is being treated as a murder investigation.

The mother and son had been living at the apartment complex for the last three years.

Ms Al-Adheem is understood to be a qualified doctor in her native Iraq, but had not yet taken exams to attain her medical licence in Ireland.

The little boy's body remained at the scene in Kimmage on Monday night.

At 11.45am yesterday, an ambulance from the city morgue arrived and removed the body from the scene.

Meanwhile, a team from the Garda Technical Bureau carried out a forensic examination of the apartment.

Local people shocked by the tragedy brought flowers to the scene, pausing briefly to pay their respects.

Gardaí have renewed their appeal for anyone with information to contact investigating detectives at Crumlin garda station.

They wish to speak to anyone who was in the area of Poddle Park between 5pm on Sunday, July 9, and 7pm on Monday, July 10.