Gangland murderer found 'unresponsive' in Mountjoy

Gary Campion
Gary Campion

A notorious Limerick killer has been rushed to hospital after he was found "unresponsive" in his cell at Mountjoy Prison, following a suspected drugs overdose.

Gary Campion (32), from Moyross was serving two life sentences, for the 2002 murder of innocent night club security doorman Brian Fitzgerald, and the 2006 gangland murder of "Fat" Frankie Ryan.
Campion was rushed by ambulance to hospital from his cell at Mountjoy this morning.

"He overdosed in his cell. He's on his last legs," said a garda source.

"His family have been notified", they added.
Campion, a hired hitman for feuding criminal gangs, had made moves to appeal the two murder convictions last year.
Brian Fitzgerald, (34), was shot dead outside his home at Brookhaven Walk, Corbally, on November 29th, 2002, after finishing his shift at Docs night club.
Mr Fitzgerald who was head of security at the venue was killed when he refused to allow the Dundon/McCarthy gang sell drugs in the club.
Campion was convicted largely on the evidence of another hitman who was paid to shoot Mr Fitzgerald.
UK national James Martin Cahill, pulled the trigger and Campion drive him from the scene on a motorbike.
Cahill, who turned state witness, is also serving a life sentence for the murder.
Campion murdered his former associate Frank Ryan while they both sat in a car in Moyross on September 16, 2006.
Campion, who Gardai regarded as a psychopath, shot his friend in the head as he sat directly behind him in the vehicle.

Gary Campion
He was found guilty of both murders in two separate Central Criminal Court trials and given two life sentences, first by Mr Justice Peter Charleton on November 15, 2007, and then by the late Mr Justice Paul Carney on May 28, 2009.
Campion has a long, ugly history of crime and violence and has spent a large part of his adult life in prison.
He has been implicated in four murders and was the first person to be convicted of two gangland killings.
The father of two previously threatened to kill a prison officer telling him he had shot people in Limerick for €10,000 and would have "no problem" paying twice that sum to have the officer shot dead.
"It wouldn’t be my first time," he told the officer.