Gang link to vicious Tallaght assault in which man later died

The scene in Tallaght last week
The scene in Tallaght last week

ASSOCIATES of republican Stephen O’Shaughnessy are suspects in an assault on a Dublin man who later died of a heart attack.

Karl Holmes (44), died after he confronted a number of men in a row which began following a row over the way a child was cycling a bike in Tallaght on Thursday.

It is understood Holmes approached the men af­ter they had words with his mother in Avonbeg Gardens around 5pm.

It is believed up to six men, some of whom were armed with a samurai sword and a hammer, punched and kicked Holmes numerous times in a vicious assault.

Local sources revealed that Holmes’s mother witnessed the brutal attack.

He was rushed to Tal­laght Hospital, but was later pronounced dead.

Gardai are investigat­ing the incident as vio­lent disorder and assault instead of murder, after it emerged Holmes died of a heart attack.

The post-mortem revealed he had a serious underlying heart condi­tion.

Those behind the attack have links to Tallaght man Stephen O’Shaughnessy (35), who was previously sentenced to five years in prison at the Special Criminal Court after be­ing caught with a loaded sawed-off shotgun.

O’Shaughnessy, who is not suspected of being involved in Thursday’s incident, was also arrested by gardai when they raided a house in Clondalkin in 2010 and found a submachine gun and ammunition.

His associate Declan Geraghty was later jailed over another incident where gardai found a 9mm FEG model P9 pistol at his home on September 26, 2012.

Relatives of Holmes were left upset when gardai downgraded the investigation to assault.

His cousin Erica O’Reilly said: “Of course he had a heart attack, them cruel creatures caused my cousin’s death.”

Holmes was himself involved in an incident which led to another man’s death, but escaped manslaughter and mur­der charges.

He assaulted his neigh­bour Thomas Weekes (20) on October 4, 1992. Weekes died in hospital three days later.