Four-week old baby saved by Dublin pharmacy workers
The four-week-old infant who stopped breathing in a café at Killiney Shopping Centre in Dublin was saved when its mother ran into the local pharmacy.
Two of the staff members were trained in infant CPR and were able to save the baby.
In a further stroke of luck a woman using a nearby ATM machine who reacted to the young mother’s panic is a resuscitation nurse in Crumlin Children’s Hospital
The drama unfolded yesterday when the infant stopped breathing in its mother’s arms just after lunchtime.
The panicked mum ran to the nearby Murray’s pharmacy run by Pat and Louise Murray.
“The mother ran in from the coffee shop with a four week old baby - not breathing. My staff laid the baby in the dispensary,” said Pat Murray.
“My wife Louise is a former paediatric nurse and my technician Danielle Kells is a former Montessori teacher who is trained in paediatric CPR, and they set to work on the infant” he added.
“We phoned for an ambulance and the two of them did their best while we waited. As luck would have it, or by a miracle, a woman outside at the ATM who wondered what the commotion was all about ran over and it turns out she is a senior resuscitation nurse at Crumlin hospital.
“She just ran over at the same time that Louise and Danielle were working on the infant and she took over. She and my staff are heroes in this story,” he explained.
Mr Murray said their thoughts and prayers are with the infant and her family, and they were shell-shocked by the events and closed the pharmacy early yesterday and sent the staff home.
“What are the chances of this woman standing at the ATM? It is just amazing.”
The baby was rushed to Crumlin Children’s Hospital and was being treated there last night.
Mr Murray said that having a four-week old baby on the floor makes you think fast.
He said he asked Danielle Kells how she performed the CPR on such a small baby and she had told him she used her middle and index fingers to do the compressions.
“My only concern tonight is that the baby pulls through to make a full recovery, and secondly the welfare of my staff who are truly amazing,” he told the Irish Daily Mail.
An eyewitness said the mother looked “young and frightened”.
“Her screams rang out through the courtyard and it was terrifying to hear them.
“The tot was in her arms as she ran from the cafe. The ambulance arrived in good time but God bless those girls inside Murray’s, they saved that child’s life,” they said.
A nearby business owner said the baby was carried out on a stretcher and looked tiny.
“It’s every parent’s worst nightmare for their newborn to stop breathing but thankfully the pharmacy was able to save the child’s life,” they said.