Football fan beaten up and thrown into sea in Marseille

The man swims back to safety
The man swims back to safety
The group of men beating up the man before he was thrown into the sea
The group of men beating up the man before he was thrown into the sea

A football fan was beaten up by a group of men and thrown into the harbour in Marseille in the latest act of violence in the city as English fans and other clash on the streets.

Fans clashed last night and various battles between English fans and police have broken out at times today.

However, another incident saw a man of unknown nationality being kicked to the ground by another group of men of unknown nationality before being thrown into the sea.

In scenes reminiscent of the dark days of hooliganism, bare-chested England fans threw beer bottles at police dressed in full riot gear.

Fist fights broke out between English and French speaking men, and one man was thrown into the harbour after he was beaten to the ground.

Police with helmets, batons and shields stood shoulder to shoulder along the cobbled street facing a line of England fans, some of whom threw bottles.

A fan wearing a red England shirt was handcuffed and arrested.

The violence first broke out at around 6.20pm French time outside the Queen Victoria pub in the Old Port district where England fans had been drinking for most of the day.

Fans sang songs about the IRA, German bombers being shot down and the national anthem.

Supporters are in Marseille ahead of England's Euro 2016 game with Russia on Saturday.

The start of the tournament, officially marked by the curtain-raiser between the hosts and Romania in Paris on Friday evening, has instead been overshadowed by images of brawls between rival supporters, violence and confrontations with local police.

The latest clashes came after a night of violence in the southern French city.

One England supporter suffered a head injury in Thursday night's brawl after being hit across the face with a wooden chair, and according to reports, some England fans were heard chanting: "Isis, where are you?"

As the disorder lurched into another day, bare-chested England fans could be seen dodging the gas deployed by police as an afternoon of drinking and singing turned into an ugly stand-off with police.

Police with helmets, batons and shields grappled troublemakers to the ground amid beer bottles and rubbish strewn across the cobbled streets.