News

Flight evacuated after man claims to have bomb in his bag

NewsBy Sunday World
The incident happened on an easyJet flight that was due to fly to Marrakech
The incident happened on an easyJet flight that was due to fly to Marrakech

A flight has been evacuated at Manchester Airport after a man claimed to have a bomb in his bag.

Two men aged 45 and 46 have been arrested on suspicion of making a bomb hoax, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have said.

Officers were called to investigate at the request of the captain of the easyJet flight which had been bound for Marrakech, Morocco, this afternoon.

GMP confirmed that passengers had to be evacuated from the EZY1893 flight at around 3:30pm as security checks were carried out.

Authorities are still currently carrying out security checks but no devices have been found.

Police said that they were called to Stand One at Manchester Airport's Pier B following reports that a passenger on-board the plane had claimed to have a bomb in his bag.

A spokesperson said: "The aircraft was immediately evacuated and two men, aged 45 and 46, were arrested on suspicion of making a bomb hoax.

"The passengers and their baggage are now being subjected to another security screening before they are allowed back on the plane.

"The searches and security checks are on-going and no explosive devices have so far been found."

A spokesperson for easyJet said that the safety and security of their passengers was its "highest priority".

They said: "EasyJet can confirm that police were requested to board flight EZY1893 from Manchester to Marrakech at the request of the captain.

"We take very seriously any security related issue made to easyJet to ensure the continued safety and security of our passengers and crew. All passengers have currently disembarked the aircraft whilst the authorities carry out security checks.

"The safety and security of its passengers and crews is always easyJet's highest priority and we would like to thank passengers for their understanding."

Manchester Airport said it had disembarked the passengers "as a precautionary measure" whilst police investigated.

A spokesperson said: "In the meantime we will be working closely with the airline and third parties to look after all passengers until they can continue with their journey.

"At all times the safety and security of our passengers and staff is of paramount importance."

The airport later confirmed that the plane is due to depart this evening after carrying out all necessary checks.