Fisherman passes away after being overcome by fumes on trawler
A fisherman has passed away after he was overcome with fumes aboard the Galway-registered trawler Oilean an Oir.
The 27-year-old man was aboard the vessel with a second man when they were overcome with fumes and rendered unconscious.
The two fishermen were rushed to Letterkenny General Hospital after they were rescued from the hold of the vessel.
It is believed one of the men, a Galway man, was cleaning the tanks of the trawler when he was overcome by the fumes.
The second man, reportedly a 46-year-old Filipino national, went to his aid but was himself subsequently injured.
The incident occurred at Killybegs at approximately 1.30pm yesterday.
The scene has been preserved by gardai and officials from the Health and Safety Authority are investigating the incident.
The Filipino man remains in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Letterkenny General Hospital.