News

Fire fighter hospitalised after breathing apparatus fails

NewsBy Karl Doyle
The fire brigade were attending a house fire on Richmond Road
The fire brigade were attending a house fire on Richmond Road

An emergency worker from Dublin Fire Brigade is in hospital after her breathing apparatus failed while she was fighting a fire at a house in Dublin early this morning.

The firefighters attended the scene at a house which had caught fire on the Richmond Road in Drumcondra on Dublin’s northside, and there were reports of a woman trapped inside.

The emergency worker is believed to have inhaled potentially toxic smoke when a valve failed or detached from her mask while she fought the blames and fumes at around 3.30am, leaving her without clean air to breath.

Her colleagues pulled her out from the building and she was brought to hospital for treatment.

Sources say the emergency worker was admitted to the Mater hospital at around 4am and discharged five hours later after treatment. One person who had been trapped in the fire was also taken hospitalised for the effects of smoke inhalation.

The breathing equipment used by Dublin Fire Brigade has come under criticism in the past with reported alleged failures placing firefighters at risk.

Last year, SIPTU said its members were only using the breathing apparatuses “under protest” and the Irish Fire and Emergency Services Association (IFESA) representative group is currently in the middle of a High Court action against Dublin City Council over the alleged BA failures.

Dublin Fire Brigade have now launched an investigation into the circumstances of the equipment malfunction.