Family of predator due for release say he won't return to Dublin home

NewsBy Sunday World
Philip Murphy
Philip Murphy

The family of a man convicted for the terrifying abduction of a woman have said he won't be allowed back in the family home when he is released from Arbour Hill next week.

A member of Philip Murphy's family has told the Irish Daily Star that they think he is a 'monster' and he won't be welcome in the family home in west Dublin.

Murphy tried to abduct a Polish woman on the Nangor Road, Clondalkin in west Dublin on June 7, 2008. He received a 10-year sentence in December 2009 for the crime but he will be released from Arbour Hill next week after serving just over six years.

However, his family say he won't be returning to his mother Maureen's home in the Lindisfarne Vale estate in Clondalkin.

"Philip is not welcome in the family home," the family member is quoted as saying, "as we have nothing to do with him anymore.

"As far as we are concerned Philip is a monster and we have washed our hands of him. We can't stop him coming back to the area but he will not be living with his mother.

"We would advise anyone who sees him, particularly women, not to approach him as he is a very dangerous young man." 

Gardai are set to be on high alert when Murphy returns to the streets.

Murphy, a former builder with previous addresses at Elmbrook Crescent, Lucan and Lindisfarne Vale, Clondalkin, Dublin, was the chief suspect in a similar incident which took place in 2008.

He was quizzed in connection with another attempted abduction of an Eastern European woman, but there wasn’t enough evidence to bring him before the courts.

Last month a gardai source said that they would have to “keep an eye on Murphy”, who previously sliced a taxi driver’s neck with a glass bottle,  “because of his violent past”.

“He’s simply a vicious predator who targets woman.”

At his sentencing in 2009 Judge Frank O'Donnell said that Murphy had been "scouring the countryside looking for a victim", before imposing a ten-year sentence for the false imprisonment offence and a three-year sentence for producing a knife, to run concurrently.

Det Insp Peter O'Boyle told the court that the woman was waiting at a bus stop at 6.30am on her way to work when a car pulled up.

The driver offered to give her a lift but at first she refused.

He returned a short time later and again offered to give her a lift.

The woman got into the car and they drove a distance, chatting normally.

She asked the man to turn right at a roundabout towards her workplace but he told her he had to get petrol.

She asked to get out of the car but he produced a craft knife and told her to be quiet or he would cut her.

The woman pleaded with him and was of the belief that she was going to be raped or killed.

She said in a statement: "The fear will never leave me".

Det Insp O'Boyle said the woman tried to jump out of the moving car but was restrained by the seat belts.

She eventually released the seat belt and when the car stopped she ran from it towards her workplace.