Ex-cop kept list of kids he was 'sexually interested in', court hears
A former policeman and Scoutmaster accused of indecently assaulting eight boys over a 21-year time frame kept a list of youngsters he had a sexual interest in, a court has heard.
Former West Midlands Police Constable Allan Richards is also said to have recorded details of one of his alleged victim's clothing in a diary found during a search of his home, the jury at Birmingham Crown Court heard.
Richards, formerly of Thaxted Road, Tile Cross, Birmingham, denies committing 12 counts of indecent assault against boys aged 11 to 15 between 1982 and 2003 at Scout camps, swimming pools and other locations.
Opening the case against the former Scout group leader, prosecutor Miranda Moore QC told jurors the 54-year-old was convicted of similar offences in June this year after an earlier hearing.
The prosecutor told the court that Richards had been "fortunate" to avoid prosecution in the past, having been questioned about abuse allegations in 2000 and 2004.
Miss Moore told the jury panel another inquiry launched in 2014 uncovered evidence "in the defendant's own hand" in the form of his diaries and a list of names on a computer hard drive.
The prosecutor said: "When police began their inquiries in this time period - in 2014 - they searched his home and they found his diaries.
"Secondly police found, concealed in a hard drive, a document created by Allan Richards, a list of male names. The Crown's case is that this is a list of males in whom the defendant had a sexual interest."
Miss Moore added: "It was the inquiry into allegations in 2014 that led the police to search this defendant's house and find this document.
"The Crown's case is that Allan Richards not only abused his position as a Scoutmaster, he misused his position as a police officer with the West Midlands Police force."
The jury of seven women and five men was told Richards was "removed" from his post with the Scouts after a complaint made in 2004 but was informed he would not be prosecuted in January 2005.
Richards then went on to misuse a police database until 2011, the Crown allege, using it to look up details of young males, including those of complainants in the current proceedings.
The trial continues on Tuesday.