Dog 'starts blaze' in house after knocking on cooker switch
A pet dog is in disgrace after it allegedly started a kitchen fire.
Beau, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, is believed to have jumped up, knocked a dial and inadvertently turned on the electric hob in a second-floor flat in Browning Road, Dartford, on Wednesday, Kent Fire and Rescue service said.
Its owner had been moving items around the kitchen and had placed a microwave on the hob, which caught light following the pet's mishap, filling the flat with black smoke.
The fire service was alerted to the blaze at 5.15pm but it was extinguished by an off-duty London firefighter, who lived nearby, before two fire engines arrived.
The young woman was given oxygen and taken to hospital by ambulance, while Beau was also given oxygen through a specially-designed pet mask, which the fire service carries on most of its engines.
The masks are provided by not-for-profit organisation Smokey Paws and funded by donations.
John Allwright, Dartford watch manager, said: "We're pleased that no one was seriously hurt but would always advise against storing items on top of cookers as accidents can easily happen but if you have no alternative, please switch appliances off at the wall beforehand.
"If you have pets try to keep them away from naked flames or cooker controls."