Dog saves family from burning house
A family dog is being lauded as a hero after it rescued a family from a house fire.
The family were woken by their pet who started frantically barking at 1am at their home in the Campside Park are of Dundonald, Co Down, on Tuesday morning.
The four people, including a teenager and a young child, were all trapped upstairs during the ordeal.
The Fire Service quickly arrived to the scene and extinguished the fire, which was contained in the kitchen.
All four members of the family and the dog were then led to safety where they were treated by waiting ambulance crews.
The property was not fitted with a working smoke alarm.
“You must have a working smoke alarm – if you don’t have one go out and buy one today” said Station Commander Michael Harkin of the Fire Service.
“If anyone has removed a battery from their smoke alarm or removed it, replace it today.”