Dean Fitzpatrick's partner reveals young son's pain over dad's death

Dean Fitzpatrick
Dean Fitzpatrick

Sara O'Rourke has revealed that she and her four-year-old son Leon will spend Father's Day visiting Dean Fitzpatrick's grave as the pair live their life without the man killed by Dave Mahon.

In an interview with today's Irish Sun, Sara speaks powerfully about life for her and her son without Dean, who was killed by Mahon in Dublin in May 2013.

Sara O'Rourke as she left court during the trial of Dave Mahon earlier this year

Little Leon was only 18 months old when his father was killed.

Now he is four and his mum has spoken about the loss he feels growing up without his dad.

"Sometimes it is hard to keep things normal for Leon and I'm running out of things to say," says Sara. "He still asks for his daddy and he knows he is an angel in heaven.

"Leon often points to the picture of his daddy and calls for him. He is just missing out on so much and I often have to cry alone when I see the pain our son is in."

Sara revealed that she and Leon will spend part of today, Father's Day, at Dean's grave to lay some flowers, as they have done for the last three years.

Mahon (45) was found guilty of the manslaughter of his stepson Dean Fitzpatrick by a jury at the Central Criminal Court last month.

Mahon had denied murdering Mr Fitzpatrick on May 26, 2013, a day after the deceased interfered with his bicycle to annoy him.

He had claimed that father-of-one Mr Fitzpatrick walked into the knife he was holding and his death was an accident.

His legal team argued that Mahon's account of what happened was not contradicted by the scientific evidence.

However, it was the prosecution case that Mahon was drunk, angry and agitated and he stabbed his stepson, before fleeing the scene and leaving him to die on the street.

Dean Fitzpatrick was the older brother of teenager Amy Fitzpatrick who went missing in Spain in 2008.

The 23-year-old received a single stab wound to the stomach outside the apartment his mother Audrey shared with Mahon at Burnell Square, Northern Cross in Malahide.

In May, a jury of six men and six women took eight hours and 16 minutes to reach a verdict that Mahon was not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter.

Ms Justice Heneghan said the defendant had offered a plea of guilty of manslaughter prior to the trial, but this plea had been rejected by the DPP, and she said she must take this into account when sentencing.

She said that Mr Mahon had also apologised, through his barrister, to all those who knew Mr Fitzpatrick, and had indicated he would not be appealing the verdict.

Ms Justice Heneghan imposed a seven year sentence.