Daughter of murder victim haunted by killer on Facebook

Kevin Reilly
Kevin Reilly

THE DAUGHTER of a 59-year-old man murdered for his Christmas welfare cheque has told how she is being haunted by his killer on Facebook.

Helena Clinton, daughter of murdered father-of-six Paig Clinton, has been inundated with pictures of killer Kevin Reilly since he friended a number of her Facebook pals under the name Kevin Smyth.

In a desperate attempt to remove his updates from her timeline, Helena was forced to appeal to her friends who had friended Reilly to defriend her.

Reilly served just seven years in prison for the horrific killing on December 19, 2000.

The Central Criminal Court heard how he and Martin Myles went to a caravan where Paig was living with his brother Noel in Ballybailie with the intention of stabbing both of them to death in order to steal their Christmas double Social Welfare payments. 

Reilly and father-of-two Martin Myles (33), of Ferdia Park, Ardee, drank with Paig before Kevin Reilly stabbed him twice in the back. 

Reilly, a drug dependent who lived with his parents in a rural area outside Ardee, was in debt to a Dundalk drug dealer and this was the motive for the attack. 

The court heard that Reilly was under 18 at the time of the stabbing. 

He had been drinking since the age of 11 and by the time he cycled with Myles to rob Paig and his brother Noel, he was drinking three flagons of cider a day. 

The deputy state pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy found that Paig’s injuries would not normally have resulted in death, but he had a severe heart condition which made him less able to survive the wounds and would have rendered cardiac resuscitation more difficult. 

Speaking with the Sunday World this week, Helena acknowledged that Ardee is a small town, but said she was puzzled as to why Reilly had ‘friended’ so many of her Facebook contacts.

“I hate having to see him on the street, that is the hardest thing for me,” she said.

“I don’t believe he should ever have been released from jail in the first place.

“But when suddenly I started going on Facebook, and there he was wishing people a Happy Christmas, that just made me feel sick to my stomach.

“There’s not a lot I can do because it’s not like he’s breaking any laws, but I just wish I didn’t have to see him.”

Following his release from prison for manslaughter O’Reilly was jailed again in November 2014 for theft related offences.