NewsCrime Desk

Youth to face trial in July over knife robbery of Italian student

Strand Road, Portmarnock
Strand Road, Portmarnock

A THEN 14-year-old boy will face trial in July accused of robbing an Italian student at knife-point in Dublin.

The now 16-year-old boy was charged with robbery of the woman at Strand Road, Portmarnock on July 21 in 2015, the Dublin Children’s Court heard.

The teen pleaded not guilty and Judge John O’Connor ordered that the trial will take place on a date in July.

Garda Glynn Miller told the court that the woman had been robbed at knife-point but witnesses gave gardai the registration number of a car.

Its owner was questioned and allegedly made admissions stating the boy had been his passenger and had carried out the robbery.

The boy was interviewed and made “certain admissions”, the court heard.

Defence counsel Damian McKeone said the allegation would be “fully contested”.

Judge O’Connor accepted jurisdiction for the case to remain the juvenile court meaning the boy, if convicted, could face a one-year sentence.

It is alleged a handbag worth €50 and €40 in cash was taken from the woman who has since returned to Italy.