NewsCrime Desk

Convicted criminal from Dublin admits tying up and hitting sisters

Thug: Dean Fagan says he won't be convicted
Thug: Dean Fagan says he won't be convicted

THIS is one of two men on the run over an alleged attack on two young Dublin women who said they were assaulted and tied up at a house in Kildare in May.

Dean Fagan (25), from Kildare Park in Crumlin, and another man fled following the alleged attack on sisters Amy and Nicole Rice. He has now admitted tying the girls up and hitting them.
The sisters came forward back in May to tell the story of how they were brutally attacked by two men they met on Facebook in a 20-hour ordeal in Newbridge.
Fagan, who has almost 60 convictions for offences including possession of a firearm and criminal damage, called Dublin radio station 98FM this week to claim the incident did not happen as it was portrayed. 
The sisters previously said they agreed to meet with two men who they initially spoke to through Facebook in April.
Amy said the pair seemed nice, and they arranged to travel to Newbridge, Co. Kildare, for a drink. They met the two men, aged 25 and 30, at a bus stop and were brought to an apartment in Newbridge town centre shortly after 7.30pm.
Soon after, Amy said one of the men, who is originally from Crumlin, started “acting weird”.
“His demeanour changed and he started talking about how he had been in jail before,” she said.
She said when they went to leave one of the men grabbed her sister by the hair and pushed her to the ground before attacking her.  Amy said she tried to intervene and was also attacked.
“They tied us up with rags and put them on our mouths and just kept laughing and laughing as they beat us up,” Amy said.
Fagan said this week that he was fighting with a man the girls knew and this is why trouble broke out. 
Sources say Fagan and his associate owed a debt to this other man. He admitted they tied up the girls and Fagan admitted hitting them. 
“Yeah, she got a few slaps... just a few slaps.”
He added that he and his associate fled after the girls went public. 
“We didn’t leave immediately. We left when we heard what was being said.”  
Despite admitting to hitting and tying up the girls, Fagan tried to claim they made up the story to get paid money from newspapers for their story. However, the girls did not receive any payment for their story. 
He went on to say he attacked the girls because they wouldn’t calm down. 
“I had no choice but to do that [hit them a few slaps], it’s a horrible thing to say. 
“You see the one that’s very badly bruised in the face... she fell down the stairs with her hands tied behind her back. 
“Fourteen steps and its very steep it is yeah, and down the bottom it’s tiles. She fell head-first down there.”
When asked why they were tied up he said: “Cause we tied them to calm them down. Just with towels like and you can get out of towels. He arrogantly went on to say he wouldn’t be convicted in court. 
“It isn’t going to go anywhere, I can tell you that now it isn’t going to go anywhere. I feel they have ruined my life over this. 
“If I go to prison, and I have been to prison before and I can tell you that now, when you go to prison with a name like that it isn’t a nice name to have.”
“I tied them up because I was worried they were going to cause more problems for me and my friend. At this time, I was wanted. I had warrants for a separate thing. 
“I am not saying I’m an angel in anyone’s eyes. I’ve got convictions for some serious shit, but I didn’t do this,” he said. 
“When you go to jail, and people think you have done shit like this you get boiling water and piss thrown at you. And when you are on the wings people throw shapes at you.  
“I couldn’t throw them out and call the cops because I had warrants out for my arrest.”
Last month Fagan was convicted in his absence over an incident where he ploughed into a garda patrol van and car after crashing into three other vehicles in traffic during a road rampage in west Dublin in August last year. 
He caused thousands of euro worth of damage to the five vehicles after he refused to stop for gardai and sped off at up to 100kph, Dublin District Court heard. Judge Patrick Clyne issued a bench warrant for his arrest and sentencing after he failed to appear for his trial.
In March he was convicted of possession of a stolen shotgun, ammunition, and other items.
The other items included two televisions, two smartphones, and some jewellery all stolen in burglaries in Wexford. He has almost 60