NewsCrime Desk

Woman charged in connection with Gareth Hutch murder granted bail

Gareth Hutch
Gareth Hutch

A 43-YEAR-OLD woman, accused of withholding information from gardai investigating the murder of Gareth Hutch in Dublin, has been granted bail.

Father-of-one Gareth Hutch (35), a nephew of Gerry 'the Monk' Hutch, was shot dead as he was getting into his car outside Avondale House flats, where he lived, on North Cumberland Street in inner-city Dublin on the morning of May 24.

Mary McDonnell, with an address at Avondale House, North Cumberland Street is charged with failing without reasonable excuse to disclose information to the gardai, as soon as was practicable, information she knew or believed might be of material assistance in securing the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of any other person for a serious offence.

The charge is under Section 9 of the Offences Against the State Act and the offence is alleged to have happened at an address at Avondale House on May 24 last.

Her case was before Dublin District Court again on Tuesday but she had been excused from having to attend, her solicitor Philip Hannon said.

Judge Anthony Halpin granted an adjournment until a date in September for directions from the DPP to be obtained. He remanded her on continuing bail.

At her first hearing, on May 31, Garda Sgt Enda O'Sullivan said the woman, who has been granted legal aid, "made no reply to the charge after caution". She had then consented to going into custody on remand but she was granted bail two weeks later.

A second man is also before the court on a charge connected to Mr Hutch's death. Last week, Thomas Fox, who has an address at Rutland Court, in north-inner city Dublin, was charged with unlawful possession of of a Makarov 9mm handgun at Avondale House on May 23, a day before the shooting. 

The charge is contrary to section 27A of the Firearms Act, which can carry a sentence of up to 14 years. He will face his next hearing later this month.  Neither defendant has indicated how they will plead.

Gareth Hutch was shot dead as he was getting into his car outside Avondale House flats on North Cumberland Street on May 24.

He was the seventh person to die in a wave of killings arising out of a bitter feud, between the Kinahan cartel and Hutch mob crime gangs, which has claimed eight lives.