NewsCrime Desk

Violent teen has escaped from Oberstown detention facility twice

Violent teen has escaped from Oberstown detention facility twice

A DANGEROUS young criminal with a string of violent offences to his name was one of five teenagers who escaped from a Dublin detention centre.

Senior management at Oberstown were last night investigating how they managed to get out.

A garda manhunt was launched on Saturday evening after the youths, aged between 14 and 18, escaped from the centre in Lusk, north county Dublin.

It is understood they climbed a fence and then fled across a nearby field some time after 6pm.

The Herald can reveal that one of the escapees is a particularly violent offender who escaped from the detention centre last year.

Sources said he was involved in a brawl at the facility that resulted in another inmate being stabbed and two members of staff being injured.

It is understood that the juvenile used a broken cup to stab another inmate in the chest and arm.

Three staff members who tried to break up the fight also received injuries. Gardai were alerted on Saturday evening and launched a major operation.

Officers from Balbriggan Garda Station and the garda air support and dog units were dispatched to the area to search for the five youths.

Local residents were also warned about the escape. Three of the teenagers were caught a short time later while another was apprehended at around 9pm. A fifth offender was captured at 11pm.

A major investigation was continuing last night as Oberstown managers tried to piece together how the five managed to escape. Facility director Pat Bergin said staff were examining security measures.

“I’m currently doing a review of exactly what happened. I will be preparing a report on that,” he said.

Mr Bergin would not comment on reports that the five escapees were armed with bats and golf clubs.

“I’m in the process of determining the facts,” he said.

This is one of several incidents that has turned the spotlight on security measures at the centre.

Four teenagers escaped last July using a ladder that had been used by builders. One of the youths was later involved in a serious attack on a Luas line, while another posted several messages on social media while on the run.