NewsCrime Desk

Video: Dramatic footage shows cops shoot dead killer London terrorists

A screen grab from the chilling video
A screen grab from the chilling video

Dramatic CCTV footage has emerged this evening showing the moment UK police shoot dead the terrorists who killed eight people in a vicious attack on Saturday night.

The shocking footage shows the three terrorists approach the Wheatsheaf Pub in Borough Markets before turning their attention to a passer-by, viciously ganging up on him as police cars arrive.

A chair appears to fly at them, thrown from an onlooker in a bid to halt the attack before the cops shoot the three attackers dead.

 

 

Earlier today the family of London Bridge terrorist Khuram Butt condemned the attack saying they are "shocked and appalled" by his actions.

Butt, 27, was one of three men who killed eight people, and injured dozens more, while wearing fake suicide vests.

In a statement, his family said: "As a family we are shocked and appalled by the actions of Khuram and his associates.

"We strongly condemn these actions.

"Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with the victims and families at this time.

"Now more than ever we need to work together to stop the actions of the mindless few who claim to be acting in the name of Islam."

The family's words add to a chorus of condemnation from the relatives of the murderous trio, as the fall-out from the atrocity continued.

Eight people are now known to have died in the attack, all of whom have been identified, while 10 further victims remain in critical condition.

The ex-partner of Rachid Redouane earlier spoke of her shock at discovering he had inflicted the outrage on the capital.

Charisse O'Leary said she has "shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrific incident".

In a statement released to the Press Association, she said her "heartfelt thoughts go out to all those murdered or injured" in the events of Saturday night.

"I am deeply shocked, saddened and numbed by the actions of my ex-partner who has killed and injured so many innocent people," Miss O'Leary said.

She said she had been separated from Redouane for six months.

"We have a beautiful young daughter, that for the last six months has been our only bond and reason for contact," she continued.

"My thoughts and efforts now are with trying to bring up my daughter with the knowledge that some day I will have to try and explain to her why her father did what he did.

"I wish to make it absolutely clear, so there can be no doubt, I condemn his actions and do not support the beliefs he held that led to him committing this atrocity."

Meanwhile, controversy over the UK's counter-terror efforts spread to border security after claims emerged that another of the perpetrators was let into the country despite being on a security watch list.

Youssef Zaghba is said to have been stopped by Italian officers trying to travel to Syria last year.

Prosecutors in Italy say there was not enough evidence to arrest or charge the 22-year-old when he was intercepted at Bologna airport.

However, unconfirmed reports suggest he was placed on the Schengen Information System (SIS II), a vast database of alerts about individuals and objects of interest to EU law enforcement agencies.

It contains information on thousands of people wanted under the European Arrest Warrant, as well as suspected foreign fighters.

Alerts are made available in the UK through the police national computer and to Border Force officers at immigration controls.

Authorities are facing pressure to detail whether an alert was flagged about Zaghba when he came into the UK and whether he was stopped at the border.

The Home Office has not commented as there is an ongoing police investigation, while Scotland Yard has said Zaghba, who lived in east London, was not a police or MI5 subject of interest.

Questions over the extent to which the terror gang were known to security services have been mounting since it was revealed Butt had been investigated in 2015.

The revelation meant perpetrators in all three of the terrorist outrages to hit the UK this year had been on the radar at some point.

Zaghba, Pakistan-born British citizen Butt and Redouane, 30, who claimed to be Moroccan-Libyan, launched a rampage around London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night.

Police have said Redouane was not known to security services. Butt and Redouane both lived in Barking, east London.

The rampage was brought to an end when the trio were shot dead by armed police eight minutes after the first emergency call.

The death toll reached eight after a body was recovered near Limehouse, downstream from London Bridge, at around 7.45pm on Tuesday.

Xavier Thomas, 45, is thought to have been struck by the terrorists' van on the bridge

The other seven victims killed have been named as: Canadian Christine Archibald, 30, James McMullan, 32, from Hackney, east London, Alexandre Pigeard, 27 and Sebastien Belanger, 36, both from France, Australians Kirsty Boden, 28, and Sara Zelenak, and Spaniard Ignacio Echeverria, 39.

A 30-year-old man was arrested as detectives raided an address in Ilford, east London, in the early hours of Wednesday.