NewsCrime Desk

Two men arrested in connection with murder of Neil Fitzgerald in Dublin

Neil Fitzgerald
Neil Fitzgerald

Two men, aged 29 and 52 years, have been arrested in Dublin city centre and Co Louth, in connection with the murder of Neil Fitzgerald.

Mr Fitzgerald’s body was discovered at Hills Lane in Tallaght on the 5th of June 2016.

The men, who were arrested this morning, are currently being held at Tallaght Garda Station under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act, 1939 as amended.

Six people have now been arrested in connection with this investigation.

The scene of Mr Fitzgerald's death 

The 35-year-old, with an address at Dufferin Avenue, off Dublin's South Circular Road, was shot in the head and chest after being lured into Hills Lane at Crooksling, off the N81 between Tallaght and Blessington.

It is understood that Fitzgerald was shot six times in the shocking attack.

Fitzgerald, who was a key lieutenant in the Rattigan gang, was found dead by a passer-by in a remote part of Tallaght.

Reports indicate that he was involved in a violent brawl with a young man the week before his death.

This led to associates of feared gangsters Graham 'The Wig' Whelan and 'Fat' Freddie Thompson becoming involved.

Fitzgerald produced a knife during the brawl and one man suffered slash wounds. The injured man then called two men, who are close associates of Thompson and Whelan, who arrived at the scene.

A number of threats were issued, with Fitzgerald warning the Kinahan cartel associates that he would kill them.

It is understood this is one of a number of threats Fitzgerald had made against rival gangsters since his release from jail.

It has also emerged that a close friend of Fitzgerald summoned him to the scene of his murder in an apparent act of betrayal.

Fitzgerald, who had been living in Blessington, Co Wicklow, spent a number of his younger years in Australia and was involved in body-building.

He previously received a 10-year jail term after pointing a loaded handgun at three garda detectives following a high-speed car chase.

It later emerged that the weapon with which Fitzgerald threatened gardai was used in an attack on Thompson's home.

A source described Fitzgerald as "an angry individual" who was prone to violence throughout his life.