Terrorist allowed back into Ireland after being jailed abroad
THIS CONVICTED terrorist was allowed back into Ireland even though it was known he’d been jailed abroad for membership of an organisation plotting a terror attack.
Less than 72 hours after Terence ‘Khalid’ Kelly was blown up in a botched suicide bombing in Iraq, the convicted terrorist was escorted to the High Court on Monday morning to challenge an order for his deportation.
The Minister for Justice issued the order after gardai informed her that the man’s activities, and that of his associates, in Ireland and outside the country are considered to be “of serious concern” and contrary to the State’s security.
Worryingly, the court also heard how the man – whose identity and nationality we are barred from reporting – first arrived in Ireland in the late 1990s under a false identity.
He was recognised as a refugee using the false identity papers in 2000.
The court heard how after being granted refugee status here, he then travelled to another jurisdiction to visit relatives.
He was subsequently arrested, convicted and jailed for seven years by a court in that country for terrorist-related offences.
On his release he applied for asylum in another jurisdiction, which was refused.
Following this refusal he returned to Ireland in 2009 and has remained here since.
His refugee status was later revoked in Ireland because his initial application was based on false documentation.
The man’s fight against extradition comes just months after the State successfully deported ‘Isis’s main recruiter in Ireland’, who the Sunday World last week revealed was a close associate of Terence Kelly also known as Khalid Kelly.
The Middle Eastern man was believed to have organised extremists who wanted to travel from Ireland to fight for ISIS in Iraq and Syria.
Kelly’s holy war came to an abrupt and unsuccessful end last week when he was blown up by a Shia rocket as he and four other Jihadis drove a suicide bomb vehicle towards troops advancing on ISIS positions in Mosul.
Speaking this week, Head of the Islamic Cultural Centre in Dublin, Dr Umar Al-Qadri, said he believed the Department of Justice has become far more rigorous in vetting documentation presented by new arrivals in the country in the past seven years.
“In the period before that, things were probably not as tight as they should have been but I think it is much more so now,” he told the Sunday World.
“A lot of people are coming in now carrying different types of documentation but I am sure standards have been raised to monitor these things more closely.
“I have confidence in the system that exists now.”
Dr Al-Qadri said he believes the number of Islamic terrorists to be active in Ireland to be “confined to a very few – including those we have already heard of”.
“What others remain, I am sure the Gardai are monitoring closely,” he said.
The Sunday World understands that gardai had warned UK authorities that Terence Kelly had entered Britain last March, from where he travelled on to Iraq to fight with ISIS.
Gardai believe Kelly had changed his name by deed-poll to Adam Deen prior to travelling, but no records of this exist.
During this week’s court hearing, solicitors challenging the terrorist’s deportation, saying their client regretted using false documents and misleading the Irish authorities but did so to avoid the death penalty.
The court heard he is opposing the Minister for Justice’s decision that he should be deported on the grounds he is at risk of being tortured and suffering inhuman and degrading treatment if returned to his native country due to his political views.
The man has been convicted of terrorism and terrorism-related offences in other jurisdictions.
The man strongly denies claims he is involved in terrorism, inside or outside of the State.
He has been living in Ireland for several years and is aged in his early 50s.
Before he left his native country, the man says he was convicted of criminal offences, which he denies, and was sentenced to death.
Dr Umar Al-Qadri
His country of origin currently has a moratorium on capital punishment.
However, he says if he is returned he is at serious risk of being tortured.
He said he and his brothers have been tortured in the past because of their political opinions.
In his proceedings, the man claims the Minister’s decision ignores a finding by the Refugee Appeal’s Tribunal, that in his case there is “a personal, present, foresee able and substantial risk of serious harm by the authorities”.
The man argues that the Minister should not have made an order to depart him where there is a finding there is a real risk he will suffer serious harm.
To do so he claims is a breach of European law.
He further argues the Minister failed to give reasons when making the deportation order for departing from the Tribunal’s finding, is irrational and unreasonable and also breaches fair procedures.
The Minister opposes the man’s challenge.
The matter is due back before the courts tomorrow.