NewsCrime Desk

Teen murder suspect returns to Ireland with ‘Fat’ Freddie

Lorcan O’Reilly
Lorcan O’Reilly

The teenager who is suspected of killing 21-year-old Lorcan O’Reilly has returned to Ireland with ‘Fat’ Freddie Thompson.

The 15-year-old had been in hiding with Thompson in Germany until last weekend.

Gardai are ‘delighted’ the teen is back in Ireland, reports The Irish Daily Mail, as it will make it easier for gardai to hopefully charge him in connection with the senseless killing.

Thompson’s associates launched a campaign of intimidation following the killing of Lorcan O’Reilly last year.

Gardai were met with a wall of silence as many witnesses would not cooperate out of fear.

However, reports in the Mail indicate that the investigation has made significant progress and that gardai are hopeful of charging the teenager within in the coming weeks.  

‘Fat’ Freddie Thompson returned to Ireland after his cousin David Byrne was gunned down in the lobby of the Regency Hotel last weekend.

David and Freddie

Thompson was forced to stroll home through Dublin city centre in his delicates after gardai seized his clothes following a high speed car chase on Monday night. 

The thug’s tracksuit was taken to test for blood stains after he was arrested on Monday in connection with the ongoing gangland feud in Dublin.

36-year-old Thompson, who is a key lieutenant of crime boss Christy Kinahan, was summoned to Ireland after Friday’s attack in the regency Hotel which left ally David Byrne dead.

According to sources the gang boss walked more than a kilometre in his underpants yesterday.

He and his cousin Liam Roe were arrested following a high speed chase through Crumlin at around 10:30pm, three hours after Gerry ‘The Monk’s Hutch’s brother Eddie Hutch, was shot dead.

58-year-old Eddie Hutch was shot several times in his home on Poplar Row on Monday night.

Gardai detained Thompson and Roe for a drugs search, but let the two go just ten minutes later when nothing was found.

The Irish Daily Star reports that gardai became suspicious about blood on Thompson’s runners and tracksuit.

Officers from Kevin Street seized his clothes for analysis before releasing him.

He then walked from the station to beyond Newmarket Square, more than a kilometre away, in his underwear in the freezing temperatures.

An initial examination of the clothes show that the blood was not fresh and most likely belonged to Thompson as he had a large cut on his hand.

Gardai are carrying out a full analysis on the clothing, but are satisfied there is no criminal element to it.