NewsCrime Desk

Teen charged with hammer attack on man who asked woman to be quiet on bus


A DUBLIN youth accused of beating a man over his head with a hammer following a row on a bus has been served with a book of evidence and sent forward for trial.

The man was allegedly left with blood pouring from his head caused by a hammer blow after he challenged a woman for being too noisy on a bus in Dublin. 

Dublin Children's Court heard that her brother (17) and two others are accused of attacking the man when he got off in Rathmines.

The youth, who cannot be named because he is a juvenile, is charged with assault causing harm and using the hammer as a weapon, in connection with the attack Lower Mountpleasant Avenue in Dublin 6 on May 27, 2015.

However it is too serious to be dealt with in the juvenile court where the teen was served with a book of evidence.

Judge John O'Connor made an order sending him forward for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where he will face his next hearing on May 27.

The youth, who has not yet entered a plea, was warned he must notify the State if he intends to use an alibi.

He also suffered some injuries during the incident, the judge was also told.

Garda Gavin Kelly told the juvenile court that the man boarded the number 83 bus at Smithfield in Dublin city-centre to go to Rathmines.

He and another man sat on the top deck while a woman was sitting behind them. “It is alleged this female was talking loudly on her phone about drugs and certain other matters,” Gda Kelly said.

It was alleged the men “had words with the female” and she then moved to the bottom deck. It was alleged that when the men went to get off she took a photo of them.

Judge John O'Connor was told the two men went to a shop on the Lower Rathmines Road and then went to Mountpleasant Avenue when they were allegedly attacked by three youths.

A skateboard was taken from one of the men.

It was alleged the teenage defendant had a claw hammer while another person involved in the attack was armed with a baseball bat. 

It was alleged the boy proceeded to hit one of the men over the head with the hammer.

One of the attackers was telling them that they had been saying things about his sister, Gda Kelly said, adding that two men sustained lacerations to their heads.

The man hit with the hammer had blood running from his head injuries and photos of his injuries were handed in to court.

After the attack, the youth's sister, who was at another location, was overheard speaking on the phone saying “get back to ma's, quickly”, the court was told.

Judge O'Connor held that the case was too serious to be dealt with in the juvenile court and he refused jurisdiction. This means the trial will take place in the Circuit Court which has tougher sentencing powers.

The boy was remanded on continuing bail pending trial. An adult youth is also before the courts in connection with the incident.