NewsCrime Desk

Sick traveller porn video at centre of child-abuse probe

Sick traveller porn video at centre of child-abuse probe

A VIRAL video featuring a group of young Irish travellers involved in a sex-tape is believed to be at the centre of major police investigation in the U.K.

A relation of a young man in the clip said the video had created a huge scandal among the Irish traveller community in Britain.

It has been posted on adult websites in the United States, where versions of the video have been watched more than 25,000 times.

“It has broken up dozens of marriages,” said the man, who claimed to be the father of one the youngsters in the explicit sex-tape.

 “It very shameful for all the families,” he added while to speaking to the Sunday World this week from New Jersey in the U.S.

He admitted that his son is one of a number of juveniles who were quizzed by police in relation to having sex with an underage girl.

He claims the clip was released on social media in 2014 sparking the police investigation and that his relation was released without charge.

PROBE: The girl may be underage 

The video has since been uploaded by a number of pornography sites, attracting comments from viewers unaware that those in the clip may be underage.

Asked if he had contacted the websites to get the video taken down, he said that: “I don’t know how to do that to be honest.”

It also sparked interest in Ireland when a story about the video clip was posted on an Irish message board.

The ‘traveller porn’ was mocked by writers also unaware that it may feature underage participants.

The discussion was eventually closed by the websites’ moderators after
several requests for an online link to the clip.

This week two of the websites, which attract millions of viewers a week, did not reply to the Sunday World when alerted they may be hosting material featuring juveniles.

Last October it emerged at a U.K. court that a total of 22 men, mostly from the Irish traveller community, have been charged with a number of offences. They range in age from the mid-teens to 29 years old.

The charges include child rape, trafficking, sexual assault, making indecent images, administering a substance with intent and conspiracy.

Staffordshire Police this week refused to confirm whether the viral video is connected with the case. They made a series of arrests after carrying out raids in Wolverhampton and Staffordshire last May.

Speaking after the raids at the time, a senior office from Staffordshire Police said: “The operation is to support an investigation into a highly sensitive matter and our first priority is safeguarding and supporting the victims.

 “It is vital we allow this sensitive investigation to establish the facts and we urge the public not to prejudge the outcome of the criminal justice process,” he added.

The criminal trials are expected to go ahead at the Nottingham Crown Court, with the first starting ahead next month and the last in June.

At a court hearing earlier this year the sensitive nature of the case was highlighted by prosecuting lawyers.

Prosecutor Heidi Kubik said: “This is plainly a case where the key witness is vulnerable. She is a young lady who is the subject of a psychological assessment and the Crown has her welfare at the forefront of their mind.”

The 16 men and six youths have denied the string of sex offences against two teenage girls.