NewsCrime Desk

Second victim in samurai sword attack dies in hospital

Attack: Lindsay (pictured) and Wightman were hacked to death with a samurai sword
Attack: Lindsay (pictured) and Wightman were hacked to death with a samurai sword

The second victim of a sword attack that killed a senior loyalist paramilitary has died in hospital.

Stanley Wightman, 52, sustained critical injuries in the incident in the Belvoir estate that claimed the life of veteran Ulster Defence Association (UDA) chief Colin "Bap" Lindsay, 47.

The men were found with severe injuries lying in the living room of Mr Lindsay's home.

Mr Wightman had undergone emergency surgery at Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital and had "significant injuries" to his neck and arms.

Sunday World sources have confirmed that friends and family of Mr Wightman had been by his bedside before he passed away.

Albert Armstrong, 46, was remanded in custody by a district judge today charged with the murder of Mr Lindsay and the attempted murder of Mr Wightman.

It is understood police are now making arrangements to amend the charge in relation to Mr Wightman.

Mr Lindsay and Mr Wightman were hacked with a samurai sword in the attack in the living room of Mr Lindsay's own house on Kirkistown Walk on Wednesday night.

Armstrong, of Mahee Close on the Belvoir estate, appeared in Newtownards Magistrates Court today.

Standing in the dock wearing a grey fleece tracksuit top and bottoms, he spoke only to confirm his name, then nodded to acknowledge he understood the charges facing him.

Ahead of the hearing, District Judge Des Perry said he was aware the case was "emotive" but warned that any disturbance would force him to clear the court.

In the event, the brief hearing passed without incident amid a high police presence.

Armstrong's solicitor did not make a bail application.

Judge Perry remanded the accused in custody to appear in court again, via videolink, on August 7.

Announcing Mr Wightman's death this evening, the officer leading the investigation reiterated an appeal for public information about what happened.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said: "We want to hear from anyone who saw or spoke to Colin Lindsay, Stanley Wightman or Albert Armstrong at any time on Wednesday or who knows anything about their movements."