NewsCrime Desk

Rapist soldier’s Tallaght home attacked after predator spotted boozing in garden

Rapist soldier’s Tallaght home attacked after predator spotted boozing in garden

GARDAI ARE investigating an attack on the family home of rapist soldier Gary Kinsella just days after he was spotted boozing in the front garden.

The sex predator, a former soldier who served at Cathal Brugha Barracks, was released from prison in late April after serving an eight-year sentence for abducting a 37-year-old woman and subjecting her to a horror rape ordeal in a presbytery garden.

Gary Kinsella

The woman – who suffered a fractured nose – told gardaí she believed Kinsella was going to kill her after he hauled her clothes off and dragged her naked to a gap between bushes and garden fence, where he repeatedly raped her.

Kinsella only ended the nightmare attack when gardaí arrived on the scene and she fled naked through the presbytery gates.

Family members of the 33-year-old predator were forced to take to Facebook this week to deny the sex attacker was living at their Tallaght home – after thugs spray-painted the front of the house and his innocent dad Frank’s taxi.

The family woke on Wednesday morning to find the front of their home spray-painted with the words ‘Rapist Gary Out’.

A building across the road from the family’s home was spray painted with the same message.

There was no sign of Kinsella – who is now bound by the conditions of the sex offender’s register – when the Sunday World called on Wednesday.

His mum told us: “We reported the vandalism to the Gardai. We don’t want to say anything else about it now.”

A neighbour in the estate this week told how she confronted Kinsella on Tuesday morning as he was washing away the graffiti.

“I went over after I seen the house had been spray-painted because I wanted to go and see if his mum and dad were alright. He was in the garden washing down the porch taking off the spray-paint,” she said.

“I told him that this wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t come back. I asked him, ‘why did you come back here… knowing people here know what you were in prison for?’ And he said ‘this is my home, I done the crime I’ve done me time’,” the woman told the Sunday World.

“I said to him: ‘How dare you come back around here looking like the hulk, flaunting your stuff with your shorts and t-shirt walking round the estate?’” she said.

She added that women in the area find his presence intimidating.

“I only heard he was out on Sunday and then I saw him over there on Monday. You see what you see round by the shop, that was all over the house,” the woman added.

“They’re a lovely family and they didn’t deserve for their house to be attacked like that. They reared their children well, but unfortunately sometimes children choose their own path in life.

Gary Kinsella's parents survey the damage outside their home

“People just got angry because he was back in the house… it was nothing against that family,” said the neighbour. On Tuesday afternoon a sister of Kinsella’s issued an appeal on Facebook that her family’s home not be targeted again.

“Just want to let everyone know that Gary is not staying in ***** and we’d all appreciate it if you’d let everyone know that too,” she wrote.

“There does be young children in the house and he’s not living there anymore.

“If you could share this it would be much appreciated.”

Kinsella was 26 years old when he attacked his victim, a young woman of Italian origin, who was working for a professional firm in Dublin and who was walking home from her gym in Aungier Street in Dublin.

Kinsella, who told psychologists he was in a steady relationship at the time and had over 50 sexual partners during his life , had been drinking in the Temple Bar area with friends and had taken drugs, including cocaine.

He said during the day’s socialising he had kissed four members of a hen party from London and had “gone upstairs with one of them”.

He left the premises at 9pm and walked to the canal, where he began following his victim.

Horrific evidence was heard of how he repeatedly threatened the woman he would “kill her” each time she screamed for help.

A passer-by who had seen Kinsella abduct the woman rang Gardaí, who spotted Kinsella fleeing on foot after they arrived at the scene.

He was arrested and later charged with 12 offences, which he denied, only to change his plea the morning his victim, who had already given evidence, was due to be cross-examined by his defence team.

A Probation Services report placed Kinsella in the ‘high risk’ category for reoffending and the ‘medium risk’ category for non-sexual violent reconviction in the long term.

A consultant psychologist disagreed, concluding: “After lengthy consideration Mr Kinsella would be of low risk of reoffending at some point in the future.”