NewsCrime Desk

Probation service warned serial rapist would strike again FOUR years ago

Serial rapist: Paul Moore
Serial rapist: Paul Moore

Paul Moore, who was convicted yesterday of two daylight assaults on women on the streets of Dublin, was sure to offend again according to a probation service report on him written four years ago.

Moore was convicted yesterday of sexually assaulting two women in Dublin's city centre and he was sentenced to two years, with nine months suspended.

However, as we revealed four years ago, it was recommended by the head of the Central Mental Hospital that the serial rapist should have been kept behind bars as it wasn't 'a question of if, but when' regarding his liklihood to reoffend.

In 2011 sources told the Sunday World that Professor Harry Kennedy, the director of the Central Mental Hospital, examined Moore and concluded that there was “compelling” case to keep him locked up for life and that his future crimes will get even worse.

But because the pervert doesn’t suffer from a mental illness he could not be held at the facility in Dundrum.

The Probation Service said “it is not a question of if but when” he would strike again and a major 24-hour Garda surveillance operation had been put in place to target Moore and prevent him from committing another rape.

Sources revealed Professor Kennedy concluded that Moore, who suffered brain injuries when he was 17 after a car crash, has a compulsion to carry out violent
sexual attacks.

He gets his kicks from meticulously planning his sordid rapes and manipulating his intended targets.

More chillingly the profile says Moore is in the highest risk category for reoffending and it predicted that his sex attacks will get more violent over time.

Doctors also concluded that he cannot be rehabilitated and should have been kept behind bars.

However, four years on he was free to assault two women on the streets of Dublin in broad daylight.

During the case Garda Gavin O'Gara told Gerardine Small BL, prosecuting, that Moore approached the first young woman, who is in her early 20s, for a cigarette as she was walking to work earlier this year.

While he spoke to her, he put his right palm on her breast and squeezed.

The woman told gardai she turned her body away and kept talking to Moore out of nervousness, but later reported the offence.

Gardai arrested Moore after the woman gave a description of the attacker.

Gda O'Gara said Moore made some admissions in interview and was released on bail, having initially been charged for a simple assault.

Detective Garda Jonathan Brady told the court that Moore approached the other woman, who is in her late teens, for a cigarette as she made her way to a pharmacy.

He stood close to her on the road as she rolled him a cigarette and then touched her nipple over her clothes.

The teenager jumped back and froze, but answered Moore's questions until he grabbed her breast again.

Gardai later took a statement from this woman and identified Moore from CCTV of the area.

During his interview, Moore claimed he had not intentionally touched the woman's breast and that he had apologised.

Moore was released in 2011 from Arbour Hill sex offenders’ prison in Dublin after serving a five-month sentence for attacking a prostitute just hours after he was released from another spell in prison.

Moore, of Mountjoy Square, Dublin, has 11 previous convictions and has served prison sentences for three rape offences, as well as sexual and indecent assaults on females dating back to the 1980s.

He completed a 10-year sentence for raping a woman in his apartment in 2001.

He was sentenced to six years in 2003 for the rape but this was increased to 10 years by the Court of Criminal Appeal due to the “terrifying amount of violence” he inflicted.

Before he assaulted the woman in 2001, the twisted pervert forced her to sign a note saying: “I have consented to everything that happened between me and Paul Moore tonight.”

Moore pleaded guilty.

Less than a year before the attack, he was released from prison after serving a seven-year sentence for rape.

While he was in custody the authorities tried to get him to work with them to cure his sick tendencies but all his treatment failed.

While he was working with a female psychiatrist attached to the HSE, he called her a “cow” and often showed hostility to women which led Prof Kennedy to say he has a negative and anti-social attitude to women and an “entitlement” to have power over them.

Moore acknowledged his sick tendencies but refused any medication which may have treated him.