NewsCrime Desk

Plumber in €3.8m drugs charge

Richie Folan
Richie Folan

THIS IS the 30-year-old plumber charged after Gardaí seized €3.8 million worth of cannabis and MDMA from “his family home”.

Richie Folan, from Clinstown, Stamullen, Co. Meath, was refused bail yesterday at the Courts of Criminal Justice, after Garda Norah Connolly gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution.

The drugs were found after Gardaí conducted a search of a house at Clinstown in Stamullen on Thursday afternoon. It is understood the drugs were found in the attic of the home and in a van.

Garda said the consignment amounted to 160kgs of cannabis herb, 10kgs of MDMA powder and 5kgs of cannabis resin.

The seizure on Thursday followed a planned operation by the Meath Divisional Drugs Unit with the assistance of the Ashbourne Detective Unit and Garda Dog Unit.

Garda Nora Connolly told the court that Folan was arrested at his home in Clinstown, Stamullen, Meath, at 3.50pm on Thursday.

The accused was then conveyed to Kells Garda Station where he was charged with two counts of possession relating to the discovery of cannabis and MDMA and two counts of possession with intent for sale and supply.

Folan, she said, made no reply when cautioned, after which he was handed true copies of the charge sheet.

Garda Connolly told the court she was primarily objecting to bail on the grounds of the seriousness of the charges he faced.

“The accused was arrested in connection with drugs valued at €3.8 million,” she said Garda Connolly outlined in court that the accused had spent two years living in Australia before returning to Ireland in 2014.

She said the evidence supporting the charges was that the drugs were found in his property in Clinstown, Stamullen where he resides with his father.

Defence counsel submitted that an application was being made for bail on the grounds the accused was a man with no history of warrants, has strong ties to the community and is a man of limited means paying a mortgage.

Judge Connolly refused bail and remanded the accused to Cloverhill District Court on Friday, July 7.