NewsCrime Desk

‘Packages’ removed from body of man who died on Aer Lingus flight

‘Packages’ removed from body of man who died on Aer Lingus flight

Reports this evening claim that several packages have been recovered from the body of a 24-year-old Brazilian national who died while aboard an Aer Lingus flight, last night.

The post-mortem examination on the man’s body has been carried out but the cause of his death will not be determined until the results of some forensic analysis are completed.

The man suffered a violent seizure during the flight, which had left Lisbon bound for Dublin.

Reports claim that the man “ran amok” and started “biting another passenger” before being restrained by crew.

Gardai later discovered two kilos of a 'powdered substance' on the Aer Lingus flight.

A woman who was also travelling on the plane has been arrested and is being questioned at Togher Garda Station in Cork.

She is believed to be Portuguese but it is not yet clear what her links are to the deceased man.

John Leonard from Cork was on the flight and described the scene after the man first appeared to suffer a seizure and then had to be restrained at the back of the plane before collapsing.

"Horrible. I would say a very violent end - to die that way in the back of an aeroplane, it's not right. It was not very pleasant at all," he said.

One man who attempted to restrain the passenger was bitten on the arm.

Mr Leonard told PJ Coogan's Opinion Line on Cork's 96fm two nurses and a doctor tried to resuscitate the man.

The captain of the flight had asked if there were any medics on board.

"After that it got worse I would say, his seizure seemed to get worse. He was actually on the ground shaking violently," Mr Leonard said.

"The noise he was making was like something I have never heard before.

"It's not something you'd hear everyday. It was like deep anguish is the best way I could describe it, very, very troubled. Not screaming in a sense you know if you'd hurt yourself or something, just a very guttural, from deep within him."

The other 167 passengers on flight EI485 were kept on board for two hours after it landed at 5.40pm before being interviewed by gardai and offered bus transfers to Dublin.