NewsCrime Desk

Notorious prisoner Brockwell transferred to prison in England

Transferred: Brockwell was moved to a prison in England today
Transferred: Brockwell was moved to a prison in England today

A notorious Scottish convict who escaped from a prison in Ireland has been transferred to a jail in England, police said.

Glaswegian Derek Brockwell, 53, escaped custody last month after stabbing two prison officers. He was later captured by police in Belfast.

Gardai arrested three people over his violent escape earlier this week.

Two men and a woman have been held at Garda stations in Dublin over his escape from the city. They were arrested in the Ashbourne area of Co Meath and Portlaoise in the Midlands.

Brockwell was recaptured after being caught drinking a pint yards from two Belfast shops he is suspected of holding up with a knife.

Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Superintendent Paula Hillman said: "PSNI can confirm that Derek Brockwell, who was unlawfully at large from the Republic of Ireland, has been released from hospital and transferred to HMP Frankland, England."

Brockwell had been receiving treatment in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast since his arrest on Wednesday February 18 in Belfast city centre.

Officers hit him with a Taser after he attempted to stab himself.

He was transferred to England today.

One of the prison officers accompanying him was stabbed with a knife in the stomach and underwent emergency surgery for his serious injuries, according to a spokesman for the Irish Prison Service.

Another officer was stabbed in the hand and possibly the face or neck during the incident.

Brockwell, who was handed 22 life sentences in the UK for armed robbery and had appeared as a wanted man on BBC's Crimewatch show, was picked up after escaping from custody by an awaiting accomplice on a motorbike or in a car which sped away from the scene.

The serial criminal was two years into a seven-year sentence for armed robbery after he admitted holding up the Bank of Ireland in Blackrock, south Dublin, in October 2012.

He was also convicted of robbing a post office and a bookmakers as well as for firearms offences in Dublin. 

Brockwell landed in Ireland after failing to return to Kirkham Prison in England, where he was serving life for a series of offences but had been allowed out on day release for a work scheme.

He had carried out armed robberies on betting shops in London's Marylebone and Paddington areas during September and October 1999.