NewsCrime Desk

Man found dismembered in river may have been killed at ‘house party gone wrong’

Man found dismembered in river may have been killed at ‘house party gone wrong’

Gardaí are investigating whether a man whose headless corpse was discovered in the Grand Canal was violently attacked at a house party on Thursday night.

The body of a male, believed to be of either eastern European or Irish origin, was found wrapped in plastic in a suitcase near Ardclough Bridge, Co Kildare, shortly after 3.30pm on Saturday.

The victim's head, hands and feet had been cut off in an attempt to prevent gardaí from carrying out an identification process of the body.

However, investigating detectives have so far been able to determine that the victim was aged in his early 20s.

Sources have revealed that one of the lines of inquiry gardaí are working on is that the victim was brutally slain in "a house party that got out of control", and that the killer, or killers, disfigured the corpse in a drastic attempt to prevent any successful identification.

The suitcase holding the torso of the murder victim was in the Grand Canal for at least six hours before it was recovered by passers-by.

Several walkers noticed the suitcase in the canal at Ardclough in north Kildare from 9am onwards on Saturday but thought it was discarded litter.

A post-mortem examination of the torso by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis, at Naas General Hospital on Sunday afternoon, showed no signs of injury to the torso.

Gardaí believe the fatal injuries may have been inflicted to the victim's head, either through a shooting or a brutal assault. Members of the Garda water unit resumed their search of the canal for other body parts yesterday, while the Garda dog unit was also drafted in to lead searches along the canal banks and adjoining land.

Gardaí think other body parts could have been dumped elsewhere in the Grand Canal or in nearby wasteland.

Members of the Garda investigation team from the Kildare division are working closely with colleagues in west Dublin.

Fingerprint checks are being carried out on the suitcase and the heavy plastic used to wrap the torso.

It has also emerged that an eastern European woman arrived at a garda station in the south of the capital on Saturday in a "distressed state", with the incident believed to be linked to the murder investigation.

Gardaí have so far gathered more than 80 witness statements from members of the public, with investigating officers appealing for anyone with information to contact Leixlip Garda Station.