NewsCrime Desk

First responders attempt to resuscitate man gunned down in botched hit

First responders attempt to resuscitate man gunned down in botched hit

This image shows first responders desperately trying to save the life of a man gunned down in today's botched gangland hit.

A young  man has died after being shot in a botched 'gangland hit' on Sheriff Street in Dublin city centre.

The shooting occurred at approximately 12.20pm outside Noctor's pub on Sheriff Street in Dublin 1.

The young man was rushed to the nearby Mater Hospital by ambulance at 12.45pm.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital in the following two hours.

The shooting was a case of mistaken identity, in what was an attempted hit on an associate of Derek 'Del Boy' Hutch.

Noctor's pub on Sheriff Street Lower (Pic: Google Maps)

The shooting is linked to the ongoing feud between members of the Christy Kinahan cartel and associates of Gary Hutch.

The target was a convicted armed robber, a close associate of current Wheatfield inmate Del Boy.

Gardai have sealed off the scene on Sheriff Street, while a helicopter has also been deployed, as officers conduct their investigation into Ireland's latest gangland shooting.

The feud has claimed four lives. Gary Hutch (34), brother of Del Boy and nephew of crime boss Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch, was murdered by members of the Kinahan mob in Spain last September.

On Friday, February 5, associates of Hutch launched a retaliatory strike against the Kinahans when six men stormed the Regency Hotel in North Dublin, dressed as fake gardai and one gunman in drag.

David Byrne (34) was shot in the head in the hotel reception, and two other men were injured. Byrne was a close associate of Christy Kinahan Jnr.

Three days later, taxi driver Eddie Hutch Snr (59) , an older brother of Gerry Hutch and uncle of Gary Hutch, was murdered at his home in Poplar Row, Ballybough in Dublin's north inner city.

A third man aligned to Hutch - Noel 'Kingsize' Duggan (57) - was murdered on March 23 as he sat in his car outside an address in Ratoath, Co Meath. He had only just returned to his home in previous days from the UK, and was reportedly in fear of his life due to the ongoing feud.