NewsCrime Desk

Man detained over Carlow stabbing released without charge

Marcus 'Murt' Brennan
Marcus 'Murt' Brennan

The 20-year-old, who was held over the stabbing and killing of a 46-year-old man in Carlow town, has been released from garda custody without charge.

Marcus ‘Murt’ Brennan (46) died after being stabbed in the leg at a house on Frederick Avenue in Carlow town at around 1.30pm on Wednesday.

It is understood a number of people were in the house when he was involved in a heated argument before the stabbing took place.

A man, who was known to the victim, was questioned by gardai, who were waiting on post-mortem reports before deciding whether or not the investigation would become a murder probe.

The man has now been released from garda custody without any charge.

The Frederick Avenue house is still cordoned off as forensic examiners continue to comb the scene.

It is understood that neither individual resided at the house where the incident took place.

While Brennan had numerous convictions and was very well-known to gardai, sources said the dead man was "not the worst of them".

"This unfortunate man was no criminal mastermind. He was in trouble for most of his adult life but all his problems related to his drug addiction," a source said.

Brennan had served a number of prison sentences, including a three-year stretch handed down at Kilkenny Circuit Court in February 2005 for stealing more than €6,000 while armed with a hammer at an EBS in Kilkenny.

He was also previously given a four-year sentence for robbery at Naas Circuit Court and was serving a separate three-and-a-half-year term for robbery in 1998.

He later launched a High Court challenge to the legality of his detention at Portlaoise Prison because of what he claimed were degrading conditions there. In recent times he had been involved in a low-level dispute with other criminal elements in Carlow.

He was due before the courts again in March, when he was to face charges of possession of a knife, criminal damage and burglary.