Knife attack survivor "doesn't know third man"
A man stabbed in the cheek in a brutal attack that also led to the murder of his pal, has recovered enough to speak to gardai.
Detectives spent a number of hours in hospital yesterday interviewing Swiss national Ludovic Thomas.
However, it is understood he does not to know a third man being sought by gardai in relation to the attack.
Detectives were last night still trying to piece together all the facts surrounding the bloodbath on the South Circular Road on Tuesday which resulted in the murder of Leo Carolan.
It has also emerged that Mr Carolan (25) had been due to meet a close female relative of his at around the time of his murder, but this arrangement had been cancelled.
Sources say that gardai are now trawling through hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in an attempt to catch the killer.
Last night, gardai were still attempting to locate the man who was in the apartment at the time of the violent attack.
Investigating detectives believe the man – described as 5’6” and wearing a dark blood-stained top – has “crucial information” in relation to the murder.
The victim, Mr Carolan (25), was living in the apartment for some time having returned from France.
He studied Anthropology in Lyon before continuing his education in Creative Music Production at IADT in Dun Laoghaire.
He was also a budding DJ.
Mr Thomas, a Swiss national in his 20s, was continuing to be treated at St James Hospital last night with non-life threatening injuries.
Supt Pat McMenamin, of Kevin Street Garda Station, said detectives were “anxious” to locate a third individual seen leaving the property.
He also stated that a murder investigation has been established after a preliminary post mortem was carried out on the deceased man’s body.
“The male that was injured is in hospital being treated for non-life threatening injuries,” he said.
“We have spoken to him and once he’s received further treatment for his injuries, we will speak to him again.
“We are anxious to locate a third person who was at the scene and we would ask that person to make contact with us.
“We believe that person has crucial information to this investigation that will assist us,” he said.
“That person is described as a man in his mid 20s, around 5’6” in height, wearing a black jacket, blue jeans and runners,” he added.
“He had fair or reddish hair that was cut short, and may have been carrying a bag,” Supt McMenamin told reporters yesterday.
“A murder investigation has been established and an incident room set up in Kevin Street. We had two scenes preserved and they have been examined by our colleagues in the Garda Technical Bureau,” he added.
An eyewitness told the Herald how they saw a man stagger across the road from the property before collapsing on the footpath.
Basser Clkhodaior (36), who has been living in the area for the past three years, described how he saw the injured man with knife wounds being tended to.
“He wasn’t talking, he was full of blood,” he said.
Robin Schiller & Ken Foy