NewsCrime Desk

Kinahan smiles with MGM fighter before having him slashed

Anthony Fitzgerald and Daniel Kinahan
Anthony Fitzgerald and Daniel Kinahan

Drugs boss smiles with the innocent MGM fighter who would later have his face sliced by the Kinahan gang.

The Star reports that gardai believe that boxer Anthony Fitzgerald had his face slashed open by the Kinahan cartel as part of their feud with the Hutch gang.

Fitzgerald, who used to fight for the MGM Gym which is heavily connected to 39-year-old Daniel Kinahan, is believed to be one of two men who were savagely slashed in knife attacks within 24-hours of each other.

Reports in the Star indicate that Fitzgerald was targeted because he is related to the Hutch gang, despite having been part of Kinahan’s boxing stable and both men are pictured above in May last year, before the feud erupted.


Anthony Fitzgerald and Daniel Kinahan (right in grey hoodie and Boss hat)

So far 10 people have been killed in the Hutch – Kinahan feud, which has been wreaking havoc in Ireland and Spain for more than a year.

A source told the paper: “The second man was attacked because he would have had a connection to the Fitzgerald family.

“There was no other reason for it – the Kinahans are just going wild attacking anyone connected to the Hutchs.”

The fighter survived the Regency Hotel attack in February which claimed the life of gangster David Byrne, and has been seen at the funerals of three Hutch members murdered in the same feud.


Anthony Fitzgerald at Eddie Hutch's funeral

Fitzgerald, nicknamed “the Pride of Dublin”, is still recovering after his face was slashed at his father’s pet shop in Dublin city centre last Wednesday week.

A lone thug entered the premises and cut Fitzgerald’s face, but when he attempted to flee the scene his moped wouldn’t start.

The man was eventually cornered on Nearby Hill Street by several men who started to attack him.

Gardai arrived on the scene and both the attacker and Mr Fitzgerald were taken to St James’s and the Mater.

The alleged attacker has not been arrested but gardai investigations are ongoing.