Autopsy drawings show how Jason Corbett shielded himself from attacks
This is the medical drawing which shows the shocking extent of the catastrophic injuries Jason Corbett suffered as he was killed in the bedroom of his American home last summer.
Mr Corbett’s second wife, Molly Martens (31) and her father Thomas (65), have been charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter.
The family of the pair claim they were acting in self-defence when Jason was repeatedly struck with a paving stone and a baseball bat, causing numerous fractures and wounds.
Molly and her father Thomas are due back in court on February 8 in connection with the murder of Jason. They have yet to make a plea in the case.
The autopsy report, which will play a key part of the prosecution case at the murder trial later this year, shows he has multiple lacerations and fractures all over his head, face and body.
Extensive injuries to his left hand are thought to have been sustained as the 39-year-old Irish man made a desperate effort to shield himself from blows, along with abrasions to his right arm and hand.
The autopsy report from the Davidson County Medical Examiner states that the Irishman was “apparently involved in an altercation in which he was possibly struck with a baseball bat and/or landscaping stone”.
It stated: “The autopsy documented multiple blunt force impact sites of the head, notably including two large, complex, branched, full-thickness scalp lacerations, as well as extensive skull fractures including a hinge fracture of the skull base.
“Based on the autopsy findings and circumstances surrounding the death, as currently understood, the cause of death is listed as blunt force head trauma. The manner of death is classified as homicide.”
Official documents show how police set out a damming 14-point affidavit to establish probable cause for the murder case.
It states that police were told in initial interviews that Jason was choking his wife Molly inside the master bedroom in the early hours of August 2, 2015 when her father Thomas Martens was awoken by the disturbance and intervened by striking Jason on the head with a baseball bat.
The former FBI agent told police it had been a “Donnybrook” or uncontrolled fight, but police noted that neither Thomas nor Molly suffered any injuries.
Her maternal uncle, Michael Earnest, said he believes his brother-in-law and his niece will be exonerated at their trial, which is expected to be held at the end of the year, as he believes the 911 call where Thomas claimed Jason was choking his daughter.
Search warrants relating to the investigation indicate detectives initially wanted to pursue a first degree murder charge when they were looking for evidence for their case.
A top US legal TV expert argued last week that the multiple blows which killed the Limerick father-of-two showed excessive force even in a case of alleged self-defence.
Jason’s family and the family of his first wife Mags have voiced their deep distress at claims that the doting Limerick dad was in any way violent.