NewsCrime Desk

Gareth Hutch feared that he would be murdered in front of his son

gareth hutch.jpg
gareth hutch.jpg

Murder victim Gareth Hutch was speaking about the possibility of being shot less than 24 hours before he was killed.

Hutch, who was in his 30s and the father of a young boy, was murdered this morning in the Avondale House complex in Cumberland Street North in Dublin, a few hundred yards from O'Connell Street.

He is believed to be the seventh victim of the bloody dispute between the Kinahan and Hutch families.

Mr Hutch is understood to have appealed to Dublin City Council housing officers to move him from the flats because he was in fear for his life and looked after his son four days a week.

He was also concerned that the flat he was living in was an easy target as a balcony could be accessed from the ground and he claimed CCTV did not cover that part of the complex.

The victim explained to local city councillor Nial Ring that he may be shot dead but he wanted to ensure that his young son would not see it happen.

Mr Hutch wanted to move to another flat within the Avondale House complex which would give him more safety and security, said Cllr Ring.

“He came into my constituency office yesterday and he was enquiring about getting a transfer from the flat he was in in the complex to a different one in the complex.

“His point was that he was on the first floor where there was access to a balcony from the side which wasn’t covered by CCTV.  He felt this was putting him in more danger,” he said.

“He did point out to me that his flat number and his mobile number was directly connected to the Garda ERU (Emergency Response Unit).

“But his main concern was about his seven-year-old son who stayed with him four nights a week.

“He did not want anything to happen to him while his son was there.  His main concern was if something was to happen to him, that his son wouldn’t be there.

“We did a letter about it and he was to go to the welfare officer at 10 a.m. this morning with the letter.  We spent a half hour going through the letter, about his life being in danger in his flat and the need to move out,” he said.

“He was obviously very proud of his little son and spoke about him. He was obviously a very dedicated father and a very devoted father as his concern was for the little guy.

“He had a lot of extended family in the area. He was a decent guy and was trying to get back on track. But he had this threat hanging over him.

“The guards told him he had a direct line into the ERU ‘press the button and we’ll be there’ they told him,” he said.

Mr Hutch is a nephew of Gerry "The Monk" Hutch, whose family and associates have been repeatedly targeted by underworld rivals since the audacious AK47 gun attack on a boxing weigh-in at the Regency Hotel in north Dublin in February.