NewsCrime Desk

Gardai continue to question teen over fatal stabbing

Wesley Mooney
Wesley Mooney

Gardaí are continuing to question a teenager over the fatal stabbing of a man in north Dublin.

Wesley Mooney (33) was stabbed to death during an attack in Dunsink Lane in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The victim - who was previously convicted for threatening to kill his former partner and their child - received a knife wound during the incident at the Finglas halting site.

Emergency services rushed to the scene, but despite the best efforts of paramedics, Mooney was pronounced dead a short time later.

A teenager was arrested at the scene by gardaí, and detectives from Finglas Garda Station are continuing to question him in relation to the fatal knife attack. The 18-year-old was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

Mooney did not live at the halting site, and gardaí are investigating whether he was disturbed by a person living there.

Locals said they did not hear an argument or row at the time of the incident, and only became aware of what had happened when emergency services arrived at the scene.

The victim lived at nearby Abbotstown Drive, where his family yesterday told the Irish Independent that they were not aware of the circumstances surrounding his death.

"We know as much as the gardaí, and we don't think they know what happened either," said one man as he was comforted by family and friends.

The deceased's body was removed from the scene yesterday afternoon, and a post-mortem was being carried out last night. The results of this examination will determine which direction the garda investigation takes.

Mooney was known to gardaí, mainly for motoring and public order offences.

In February, he received a suspended sentence at Blanchardstown District Court, where he pleaded guilty to possession of a claw hammer and threatening and abusive behaviour. In another incident in 2008, Mooney received a suspended sentence after he pleaded guilty to threatening to kill his former partner and their child.

Mooney pulled what looked like a gun out of a sock and pointed it at his partner, Kim Murphy, at her Clondalkin home, and asked her did she want him "to put the three of us asleep together?".

He also pleaded guilty to acting as lookout during a robbery of Terry Rogers Bookmakers on Glasnevin Avenue, north Dublin, on August 24, 2010, while he was on bail. Judge Patricia Ryan sentenced him to six years for both offences at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, but suspended it on strict conditions.