NewsCrime Desk

Gangland hitman 'smuggled phone up backside' into Mountjoy after hospital visit

Gary Campion
Gary Campion

Gary Campion was placed in solitary confinement last night over fears that the killer brought a mobile phone into Mountjoy Prison by means of stuffing it up his back passage.

Campion was placed in a solitary cell after setting off an alarm on Mountjoy Prison's high-tech screening system, according to the Irish Daily Star.

Prison officers are of the opinion that the murderer used his back passage as a method of transporting the contraband inside prison walls.

Mountjoy staff will now have to wait for Mother Nature's call before they can confirm or deny their suspicions.

On entering the Dublin facility, prisoners sit in the BOSS (Body Orifice Security Scanner) chair.

The device attempts to locate any items that prisoners may have hidden internally.

Campion had been under observation at the Mater Hospital following a suspected drug overdose last Thursday but managed to make a full recovery.

On his return to the prison the BOSS detection system indicated that the prisoner was concealing an item inside his body, according to Star sources.

32-year-old Campion was hospitalised last week following a suspected drug overdose in the country's biggest prison.

Campion, a hired hitman for feuding criminal gangs, had made moves to appeal the two murder convictions last year.
Brian Fitzgerald, (34), was shot dead outside his home at Brookhaven Walk, Corbally, on November 29, 2002, after finishing his shift at Docs night club.

Mr Fitzgerald, who was head of security at the venue, was killed when he refused to allow the Dundon/McCarthy gang sell drugs in the club.

Campion was convicted largely on the evidence of another hitman who was paid to shoot Mr Fitzgerald.

UK national James Martin Cahill pulled the trigger and Campion drive him from the scene on a motorbike.

Cahill, who turned state witness, is also serving a life sentence for the murder.

Campion murdered his former associate Frank Ryan while they both sat in a car in Moyross on September 16, 2006.

Campion, who gardai regarded as a psychopath, shot his friend in the head as he sat directly behind him in the vehicle.

He was found guilty of both murders in two separate Central Criminal Court trials and given two life sentences, first by Mr Justice Peter Charleton on November 15, 2007, and then by the late Mr Justice Paul Carney on May 28, 2009.

Campion has a long, ugly history of crime and violence and has spent a large part of his adult life in prison.

He has been implicated in four murders and was the first person to be convicted of two gangland killings.

The father of two previously threatened to kill a prison officer, telling him he had shot people in Limerick for €10,000 and would have "no problem" paying twice that sum to have the officer shot dead.

"It wouldn’t be my first time," he told the officer.