NewsCrime Desk

Gang boss moved after €100k price put on his head

Cornelius Price
Cornelius Price

A €100,000 price has been put on the head of feared crime boss Cornelius Price by a Dublin gang who want him dead.

The serious threat to his life has led to the notorious gangster being moved from Dublin’s Wheatfield Prison to the grim conditions of Cork Prison for his own safety.

Price (35) was jailed earlier this year for the reckless endangerment of a garda at Balbriggan Garda Station over three years ago following a trial at Dublin Circuit Court.

Price had been serving his time in Dublin but was moved to Cork Prison last Sunday after jail bosses received information that he was to be attacked.

“A figure of €100k has been put on Price’s head by a Tallaght- based gang.

They want him dead,” a source said. HEROIN Separately, a feared south inner city thug has taken up an offer to “slice Price’s face off ” on the promise of a significant amount of heroin, jail insiders said last night.

The escalating tension led to the decision that Price should be moved from Wheatfield.

Sources say the vicious thug “hates” life in the Cork jail, is “lonely” and wants to be moved back to a Dublin prison.

“He is feeling very sorry for himself but very few people have any sympathy for him considering what his gang has done,” a source said.

His mob are suspected of involvement in three gangland murders, including those of a missing couple.

While Price is not in the frame for any of the three murders, his associates are the chief suspects in the killing of Benny Whitehouse (36) who was shot dead on Clonard Street, Balbriggan, in September, 2014.

In May, 2015 Price was arrested and later released without charge by gardai investigating the Whitehouse murder which remains unsolved.

The gang are also the chief suspects for the disappearance of Tallaght man Willie Maughan (34) and his partner Anna Varslavane (21) who were last seen in the Gormanston area of Co Meath on April 14, 2015.

One theory which is being investigated is that the couple were murdered because they were trying to break links with the gang which they had associated with in the months before their disappearance.

Price has never been arrested in connection with the missing couple who it is thought were shot dead with their bodies burnt in a bonfire.

His compound in Gormanston has been the subject of major garda surveillance operations and has also been raided on a number of occasions.

Last month, the Herald revealed that Price was caught with an illegal mobile phone in his cell at Wheatfield but he has not yet been formally disciplined.

It was alleged that Price was holding the phone when prison officers stormed his cell on May 7, and the phone as well as a charger were seized from the notorious criminal.

Weeks later, it also emerged that gardai were investigating a major smuggling route into Wheatfield.

A criminal linked to associates of Price attempted to smuggle drugs and a mobile phone into the prison.

However, the “bungling fool” forgot the name of who he was due to visit and was detained by prison authorities.

Sources say the 54-year-old, who is from England but is living in Price’s compound in Co Meath, was due to hand over the contraband to a jailed associate of the Price gang which has been using junior criminals to smuggle drugs and phones into the prison.