NewsCrime Desk

'Fat' Freddie mob behind campaign of terror against stabbing suspect attackers

Stabbed to death: Lorcan O'Reilly
Stabbed to death: Lorcan O'Reilly

A number of young men believed to have been involved in an attack on the chief suspect in the fatal stabbing of Lorcan O'Reilly have been forced to flee their homes under threat from the 'Fat' Freddie Thompson mob.

Criminals linked to the Freddie Thompson mob are suspected of being behind the campaign of terror that has led to the young men leaving their south inner-city homes and moving to undisclosed locations.

The development is the latest twist in a tense saga that has developed since Lorcan (21) was stabbed to death in the Oliver Bond flats complex on Halloween night 2015.

"These fellas have left their homes and it was very much the smart thing to do as a serious threat is on them and this still exists," a source told the Herald.

A 15-year-old chief suspect was quickly identified in the case and it emerged that this juvenile criminal has close links to the Thompson gang.

However, he became a figure of hate to some men known to tragic Lorcan, and was hospitalised after he was given a severe beating in the early hours of New Year's Day.

Several young men attacked the 15-year-old in Dublin's south inner city shortly after 4am on New Year's Day and the teenager suffered a number of serious kicks and punches to the head.

He was brought to St James' Hospital, where he was treated for a number of hours before being discharged.

Just hours after this, the teenager fled Ireland in the company of a gangster to Germany and then Holland before he returned home a number of weeks ago.

Sources say that gardai expect to arrest him before the end of this month after a major investigation.

He previously presented himself for questioning at Kevin Street Garda Station with his two grandmothers a number of days after the stab attack.

However, officers declined to take a statement from the teenager as they intend to collect more evidence before questioning him about the murder.

In the weeks after the murder, gardai arrested up to 16 people, including a number of women and juveniles, for withholding information about the savage knife murder of Lorcan, who was considered a highly respectable young man.

It later emerged that gardai got a number of key statements from crucial witnesses.

An adjourned inquest into the knife murder heard last month that Lorcan died from cardiac haemorrhage due to a single stab wound to the thorax.

Inspector Paul Cleary applied for a six-month adjournment of the inquest proceedings to allow for ongoing investigation.

"This is a homicide, the investigation is active and ongoing and a file is being prepared for the DPP," Inspector Cleary said.

Ken Foy

Via Herald