NewsCrime Desk

Face of man gunned down in Dublin drive-by shooting

Keith Willis
Keith Willis

This is the man who was rushed to hospital after being gunned down in a drive-by shooting in the capital.

Keith Willis (27) was shot in the arm and leg shortly before 9pm in the Shancastle Drive area of Clondalkin last night.

Keith Willis

It is understood that Mr Willis, who is living in Ballyfermot, had been walking alone when two men in a silver saloon pulled up beside him and opened fire.

It is believed he was shot twice with a handgun.

He was rushed to James Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown, where it is believed his injuries are not life-threatening.

Willis was known to gardai in relation to a drug-related offence

The shooting victim was jailed in relation to possession of drugs after gardai discovered them in a car in which he as travelling.

He received a jail term but he had since been released.

Emergency services received the call at 8.56pm last night.

At least two men were involved in the attack and they made their getaway in a car.

Sources said that it was not connected to the ongoing Hutch/Kinahan feud and more likely to be a "localised dispute".

Local councillor Kenneth Egan told the Herald that the recent spate of shootings in the area is "shocking", blaming it on thugs that "have no shame".

"It's madness and uncalled for, it's shocking no matter what the reasons are behind it. It's happening too often around this area. It is a good area and there's some fantastic people here," Mr Egan said.

"I think there are enough gardai in the area and they do a fantastic job. They're renowned for their work-rate, so I wouldn't question them.

"There's just a couple of thugs out there who have no shame going around shooting people and have no respect for anybody and that's the problem," he added.

Locals reported hearing four loud bangs but said they did not see the victim or the gunman.

A bullet hole could be seen in the front door, and there were some bloodstains on the wall of the open porch where the victim had rubbed against it, most likely as he fled from his attackers.

"I heard four loud bangs, one after the other in quick succession, and then the gardai, ambulance and fire brigade were here very quickly," said one shocked local woman.

The scene is currently sealed off pending a Garda Forensic Examination.

Investigating gardai are appealing for witnesses to contact Ronanstown Garda Station on 01 666 7700, the Garda Confidential Line on 1 800 666 111 or any garda station.

Via Independent/Herald