Dublin woman accused of assault sent to Central Mental Hospital
A 33-YEAR-OLD woman accused of assault and robbery charges after a woman was stabbed in the neck during a mugging in Dublin has been transferred to the Central Mental Hospital.
Homeless Laura Kenna made no application for bail when she was first brought to appear before Judge Anthony Halpin at Dublin District Court on January 6 last.
She is charged with assault causing harm to the woman, a 35-year-old civil servant, and robbing her of her handbag and her phone, at Lower Drumcondra Road on the evening of January 3 last.
The victim was hospitalised after suffering serious injuries during the alleged attack.
She was stabbed in the neck as she walked home from work - gardai and locals came to her assistance and she was rushed to the Mater Hospital.
The accused, who was arrested the following day, made no application for bail at her first hearing.
She had been remanded in custody for a week to allow time for directions from the DPP to be obtained.
The case resumed on Friday, however, she was unable to attend.
Judge Halpin noted she had been transferred to the Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum and he adjourned the case in her absence for two weeks.
At her first hearing, Det Sergeant Ken Hoare had told Judge Halpin that, "in reply to the charges after caution, she said 'No'."
It has been indicated that there will be a garda objection to a bail application.