NewsCrime Desk

Dead drug dealer victim of lethal gangland double cross

Gardai at the scene on Bridgefoot Street yesterday
Gardai at the scene on Bridgefoot Street yesterday

Drug dealer David 'Daithi' Douglas (55) was shot dead in a ruthless double-cross by gangland thugs in Dublin yesterday.

The father of one was approached by a lone male gunman and shot in the head and chest on Bridgefoot Street, in the Liberties area of Dublin's south inner city, shortly after 4pm.

READ MORE: Face of man gunned down in brutal Dublin shooting

Douglas, from Killala Road, Cabra, was shot up to six times outside the entrance to the Shoestown shop.

It is believed Douglas was targeted as he walked to his wife Yumei's shop, Shoestown, after attending a family funeral earlier in the day.

He was taken to St James's Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Gardaí are investigating whether the murder is linked to the bitter feud between the Kinahan cartel and the Hutch mob.

It has since emerged that the chief suspects for organising the shooting had assured him recently that they were no longer in dispute with him.

READ MORE: Gallery: Scene of the shooting in south-inner city Dublin

Douglas, the father of a teenage daughter, had previously survived an assassination attempt near his Cabra home last November and the suspects for this botched hit are also being investigated over yesterday's murder.

He became a target for the Kinahan cartel after he was wrongly blamed for being involved in an attempted murder on cartel associate Liam Roe outside Dublin's Red Cow Hotel on November 6. However, detailed garda investigations later revealed Douglas was not at the Red Cow on that night.

After he survived the assassination attempt, his wife Yumei said her husband was a "strong man".

"I don't care about whatever his history is, but he's on the good way now," she said at the time.

Superintendent Patrick McMenamin, of Kevin Street Garda Station, said they were looking for two individuals as part of the murder investigation - the shooter and a getaway driver.

A Mercedes Benz CLA 161-D car, which is believed to have been used in the killing, was discovered burnt out a short distance away at Spitalfields, close to Carman's Hall, Dublin 8.

A handgun was discovered at the scene of the crime.

Locals in the Liberties said that the shooting was just one metre away from the door of a children's recreation and homework club named Busy Bees. A local man said: "I heard a shot but I thought it was just banging from a local building site. But then I heard a lot of screeching of car brakes."

A 38-year-old man standing at the garda cordon said he had family members living nearby.

He said: "When I was young, if anyone had a dispute, they'd sort it out with a fist fight but now it's solved with the barrel of a gun."