NewsCrime Desk

Courtroom ‘flasher’ had brain operation following prison assault

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce

A 21-year-old who mooned and flashed a district court judge has undergone brain surgery following a vicious assault at Limerick Prison.

Brian Joyce was brutally attacked in the showers earlier this week.

Joyce, who is a member of the travelling community, was due in Ennis District Court yesterday in connection with an assault charge.

The court was told yesterday that Joyce was “hospitalised critically in Cork”, to which judge Patrick Durcan said: “I’m sort to hear that. Had he an accident?”

Joyce’s solicitor Tara Godfrey responded, saying: “He was attacked, judge.”

When the judge asked when he would be able to attend court Ms Godfrey said:

“He has just had brain surgery and we aren’t sure of the prognosis.”

Previously, discussing the attack, Ms Godfreysaid that Joyce had suffered a skull fracture during the assault.

Joyce's brother John was also in before the court yesterday and judge Durcan remanded the two in custody to re-appear next Wednesday. 

It was yesterday reported that jail bosses had not yet identified who attacked Joyce in the showers, but were investigating whether a Limerick criminal was behind the brutal assault.

"This man suffered a depressed fracture to his skull. It seems that this was a targeted attack which involves associates of the young man on the outside," a source said last night.

Joyce was in custody since last Friday when proceedings at Ennis District Court grinded to a halt after he pulled down his pants and slapped his bare arse before spinning around and mauling his penis while shouting at  Judge Patrick Durcan

The grotesque scene occurred after the lawmaker refused to grant the Joyce’s younger brother bail. 

A melee ensued in court as gardai restrained the 24-year old and his 18 year old brother, who was also lashing out.

One officer was assaulted during the incident.

After 20 minutes of disturbance the court re-commenced.

The two Ennis men were before the court on Section 3 assault charges on a 17-year-old male.

Both men were handcuffed by gardai, who also cleared the courtroom of any family and friends of the two.

At the resumed hearing, Judge Durcan remanded the two men in custody.

The Irish Independent reports that Inspector Tom Kennedy said after court:

“What happened was incredible and to see someone moon at a judge and then show his genitals to the court and hold them in his hand was an affront to the administration of justice in the court. Why someone would do that, I just don't know.

“It is something that members of the general public did not to have witness what occurred today. Judge Durcan was also horrified by what he had witnessed."