Continuity IRA rocked by child sex abuse claims
The Continuity IRA has been rocked by shocking child sex abuse claims within its ranks.
The Sunday World can reveal that sickening allegations surrounding a top member were made by a woman who said she found the dissident with a catalogue of twisted child abuse images.
The female, who was closely connected to the man in question, took her allegations to CIRA chiefs in Belfast, who quizzed her at length.
A dissident delegation also visited the woman in Munster, where she revealed to four high-ranking members of the organisation that she found the twisted images on a camera before confronting the republican activist.
She also made a number of other allegations to the dissident gang, who took the claims seriously.
They advised that the man be suspended by republican chiefs “pending further inquiry”.
He was questioned and claimed the allegations were part of a smear campaign.
He remains within the ranks of the paramilitary group on the orders of a veteran republican.
A source told the Sunday World: “This woman said he had hundreds of images of children and was involved in voyeurism as well, all very disturbing stuff.
“The members who visited her were left really shocked by what she was saying. They advised the HQ in Belfast that this guy be suspended until a full investigation was carried out.
“However, one of the senior men up north didn’t want to hear it.
“She was advised to go to gardaí with the allegations. She did and his flat was raided by guards who took away computer equipment.
“Nothing came of it, though, so that was the last anyone heard of it. It was a case of her word against his.”
The scandal is the latest to hit the terror group in a matter of weeks. Earlier this month dissident bosses were left furious after a false statement claiming the terror group had officially disbanded was printed in a local newspaper.
Using a recognised code word, it stated the dissident faction was handing over a small cache of weapons and explosives to end its “futile campaign”.
Terror bosses were left fuming over the hoax and immediately pointed the finger at a veteran republican who had fallen out with dissidents.
Last August the veteran was removed from his role after members said he had been using the group for his “own means”.
The man blamed dissidents for a series of malicious messages sprayed on walls around his home city, just days before the false terror statement was released.
When asked about the claims, the man, told the Sunday World:“I have nothing to do with them. He added: “I suppose that’s what you get when you’re against drug dealers and paedophiles.”