NewsCrime Desk

Clondalkin rape suspect may have fled Dublin

Gardai at the scene of the attack
Gardai at the scene of the attack

Gardai trying to locate the third man suspected of involvement in the brutal rape of a woman in Dublin last week fear the man may have fled the capital.

The violent attack occurred last Thursday as the victim was making her way home from a local garage.

Gardaí have so far arrested two people in relation to the incident, but fear one of the suspects, originally thought to be in hiding, may now have in fact fled Dublin.

Yesterday it was reported that the man may have fled the Clondalkin area but today it is thought he may have fled Dublin altogether.

Two men aged in their late teens and early 20s were arrested by gardaí and questioned at Lucan Garda Station over the weekend, before being released without charge. It is understood the victim of the attack, who is in her 30s, was returning home after stopping at a local petrol station to buy groceries.

She was pushing her bicycle along the footpath away from the direction of Clondalkin village when she was allegedly grabbed by three men. It's now known that one of the men raped her.

Though the woman was threatened at knifepoint during her ordeal, there is no indication the weapon was used on her.

The victim did not know her attackers. After raising the alarm herself, the woman was taken to the Sexual Assault Treatment Unit in the Rotunda Hospital. On Friday morning gardaí from the technical bureau recovered the victim's bicycle from the scene.

A running shoe and other items were also collected for forensic examination. Specialist gardaí from the Clondalkin district will interview her further about the attack.

It is expected that gardaí will establish more details about the incident during this interview.

"A number of online threats have also been issued, with local criminals threatening to kill the men involved," the source added.

The threats have been directed at the perpetrators since the morning of the attack, and it is understood the names of individuals suspected of involvement were shared on social media.

Gardaí have received a massive response from the public since issuing their appeal for information on the brutal attack.