NewsCrime Desk

24-hour Cabra crime-wave sees high speed chase, serious assault and crazed woman smashing cars

Graffiti on a wall at St. Atracta Road, Cabra
Graffiti on a wall at St. Atracta Road, Cabra

Cabra in north Dublin was the scene of three serious crimes in just 24 hours, including an assault, a high speed garda chase and an act of bizarre vandalism by a crazed woman.

The Cabra crime wave began shortly after 11pm on Monday night when garda units were deployed to the Fassaugh Avenue area to subdue a crazed woman who was jumping out in front of cars and breaking windows.

Gardai responded to reports of her "drunken activities" and a large crowd of people had gathered and "goaded" officers as they attempted to arrest her.

Then a man was brutally assaulted by a gang of thugs in broad daylight while walking on Broombridge Road.

The incident occurred shortly after midday on Tuesday.

A 42-year-old local man was set upon by a gang of five men who assaulted him with a hurley, brick and a knife, in front of shocked eyewitnesses.

The victim suffered a broken nose, broken ribs and a number of serious cuts in the assault before his attackers fled the area.

"He suffered a really bad hiding - they beat him in the face with a brick. Gardai do not have a motive for this attack," a source told The Herald.

The victim was not previously known to gardai.

On that very same road at 11pm on Tuesday night a stolen Audi A4 with four occupants refused to stop for gardai, prompting a high speed chase through the area.

The car had been stolen from Cavan town at the weekend.

Sources revealed that the pursuit led gardai onto the M50 where the stolen car was driven all the way to Tallaght before turning back and driving northside again.

The car was eventually driven back into the Cabra area where the pursuit ended at Carnlough Road where it had all started at around 12.10am yesterday.

It is understood that armed officers had been involved in the chase and all four occupants of the car were arrested and brought to various garda stations.

The alleged driver of the car is a 27-year-old Cabra man while the car was also occupied by two other local men aged 21 and 18 as well as a 25-year-old man from the capital's south inner city. They were all released and are expected to be charged in the coming weeks.

Sources said that a "lack of garda resources" has become a major problem in policing the Cabra area in recent months with the closure of the local garda station at night a long-running problem.

"In Cabra, there are gangs of youths and criminals running amok. Gardai are struggling to cope at times," a source pointed out.