Brutal detail of Hutch assassination revealed
GANGLAND feud victim Gareth Hutch died from multiple gunshot wounds after he was shot outside his home, an inquest has heard.
There was no noticeable armed garda presence at yesterday’s brief hearing into the death of Hutch – one of 10 men shot dead as part of the Hutch/Kinahan feud.
The father-of-one (35), from Avondale House, North Cumberland Street, Dublin 1, died of his injuries on May 24, 2016.
An inquest into his death at Dublin Coroner’s Court heard that gardai have submitted a file in relation to the killing to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
The man’s father, John Hutch Snr, of Drumalee Avenue, Dublin 8, identified his son’s body at the Mater Hospital within hours of his death, the court heard.
Mr Hutch’s deposition was read into court as he is not in Ireland. It is understood that Mr Hutch and his son Jonathan fled the country after they both survived assassination attempts in recent weeks.
Family members were not in court but had been made aware of the inquest and will be kept informed through a garda liaison officer, the court heard.
Detective Fergal O’Flaherty, of Mountjoy Garda Station said he spoke with a number of family members at the Mater Hospital before Mr Hutch’s remains were formally identified by his father at 12.53pm on May 24.
Det O’Flaherty later formally identified Mr Hutch’s remains to the State pathologist, Dr Marie Cassidy, at Dublin City Morgue.
The cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds, according to an autopsy.
Det Insp Frances Sweeney, also of Mountjoy Garda Station, applied for a six-month adjournment of the inquest pending the DPP’s decision on a possible prosecution.
“A file is with the DPP currently, pertaining to all matters concerning this investigation,” Det Insp Sweeney said.
Two people, a man and a woman, have already been charged in relation to the murder. Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane granted the garda application and adjourned the inquest until April 6, 2017.